Best Bass Solo/Song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by voleceq, Aug 21, 2001.

1. I was just wondering what the hardest bass line you all have ever found in songs by any artist. Here are some of the ones I have found:

Slang by Jaco
    Me and My Bass Guitar by Victor Wooten
    Maxwell Murder by Rancid
  2. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    "Norwegian Wood" by Vic Wooten is pretty tough at it's climax. Also, I heard this Yanni song once that had a pretty amazing bass solo. But don't ask why I was listening to Yanni :p :D

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Just to clarify one thing - in the title you asked for the best bass solo, but in your post, you wanted the hardest bass solo. The hardest bass solo is not necessarily the best.

The hardest bass solos are probably those done by Michael Manring - you need to have a multi-tunable Zon Hyperbass, and know his alternate tunings, then figure out his unique method of playing his bass.
  4. I agree with Bass Guitar; it's not the technical and physical toughness of the solo that makes it truly great. It's what ALL bass is all about: THE GROOVE.

In my opinion, one of the grooviest is one that I have never heard anyone here at TB talk about; the solo in the Steve Miller Band's "Shu-ba-da-doo-ma-ma-ma". A great song with a great solo that is not just technically *kinda* difficult (especially on an old P-Bass going up to the G-string's 20th fret), it also has a GREAT GROOVE, which is what bass is all about.
  5. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah his stuff sounds really crazy, like sounds that I cant figure out how to make, like The Enormous Room sound will never work on my bass.
  6. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey Yanni rocks!! I've seen him in concert twice and both were awesome shows. I try to keep an open mind about different kinds of music, and see nothing wrong with Yanni. Someone once said on another forum I read, "the definition of a good band is not just guitar, bass and drums".

Thinking really deep now. :D

7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Maxwell murder is definatly a good song. The begining of "If the kids were united" is also another good one by rancid. I like what ive heard of jaco though. Really, really good. Shame he got killed. RIP. Oh, hey, this is my 100th post. YAY!!!
  8. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I like the Tower Of Strength Solo by Jason Newsted. Slang by Jaco is excellent, I also love Potrait of Tracy by Jaco. Great stuff! There are many others I just can't think of now.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually, I heard the solo on "Yanni live at the Acropolis". It was broadcast on PBS.

Yes, I watch PBS and like it!
  10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    This is a little off topic, but anyway, I was forced to listen to rap music for an hour with my friends(because for some reason my votes don't matter, and theres are doubled). As soon as I got home, I switched on PBS and felt brain cells start to return.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Sicplayer-i feel sorry for ya-i hate rap music-99/100 rap songs i hear i can't stand. I gotta agree with Slang by Jaco as the hardest solo. I pulled up the tab for that on here & it was like :eek: :confused: i didn't end up printing that tab-it would be sweet to learn though. thats all
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Alain Caron's version of "Donna Lee" and "Vulcan Princess" by Lord Stanley for it's powerful simplicity. BTW, checkout the bride in "Taxman". Macca kills it!!!
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I don't know all the ages of everyone here, but i would guess that most are under 30, but has anyone ever heard of Jack Bruce, He was popular in the 60's-80's, I am only 14, but my dad is into him, so he has pessed it to me, and i must say, he plays some of the most amazing riffs i have ever heard, but that's prolly just me.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, it's not just you. Jack Bruce is awesome.

The live version of Crossroads has a killer bass solo.
  15. A portrait of Tracy by Jaco
    Classical Thump by Vic Wooten

best two songs on bass EVER
  16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Here's one for the geezers....;)

Break Tim Bogert with Vanilla Fudge
  17. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    Don't worry bassplayer, I'm only 15 and know who Jack Bruce is. I would have to vote for "Anesthia." I love the part when the drums enter.
  18. Lemon Song...Led Zeppelin...pure improv on the record...!!!
  19. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    totally agree

not just lemon but most zep live, or who live

j.p.jones and j. entwhistle

zeus and jupiter respectively :D
  20. I just watched a 2 hour live concert special (recorded 1970) of the Who on TV. I was impressed. I never really listened to any of their stuff before, but I think I will now.