Best Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by El_Bunto, Sep 7, 2002.

1. I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best bass solo to play, not because of difficulty but of sounding good and fun to play.
  2. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I like the solo for By the Way - RHCP

3. Not especially difficult, but lots of fun....."My Generation", the first ever (?) rock solo. Want fun AND diffcult? Stanley's solo in "Spain".

4. I agree with you 100%. Stanley should have been arrested for that one. So fast.

One bass solo that has always stuck in my head, although I'm sure most of you have never heard it, was the solo towards the end of the song, "The Light of Day," from The Little River Band's 1978 album, "Sleeper, Catcher." So tasty. George McArdle was the bassist, but, left the band right after that to preach. If you ever hear it you'll understand why it sticks with you. I don't know how else to explain it. I think he played it on a fretless Stingray. :)
    Mike J.
  5. For a bass solo that's fun to listen to and to play, it's tough to beat Willie Weeks on "Voices Inside (Everything Is Everything)" off the Donny Hathaway Live album. Most of that solo is easy enough, notewise, for intermediate players to pull off, but the phrasing and feel is world class all the way. It's fun listening to that solo and wondering if Weeks realized, right then, that he was making history.
  6. "Axiom" by Rancid. I can't play this, but sounds so damn good. Matt Freeman rules.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Les Claypool's break in Primus' "Tommy the Cat". There are much fancier solos out there, but this one makes me laugh every time I hear it... can't say that about any other.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I love it when music does that. It's good, but for some reason humorus. I get that everytime I listen to herb alpert and the tijuana brass. And the solo is pretty impressive. Pretty obvious, by my fav is "Portrait of Tracy" by Jaco. It's so amazing that one bass can make so many beautiful sounds.
  9. juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    oh come on, the solo from aeroplane rules! its so easy and so fun, i just love it
  10. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I dig the solo form "Steal My Kisses" by Ben Harper. Juan Nelson is the man. Areoplane is fun to play, and let us not forget some Victor Wooten classics like "Sex in a Pan" and "Earth Jam" form Outbound.

Hey, where can I find that Donny Hathawya record? There was a URL a while back but I can't seem to locate the thing.
  11. "White Knuckle Ride" - Rancid
    "Maxwell Murder"- Rancid
    (already mentioned) "Axiom" - Rancid

Of course they're all Matt Freeman (MF:p) because I don't listen to solo anything.
  12. Hey Michael Jewels, I'm so ashamed, I've got that LRB album on cassette tape, and I cant remember hearing that bit. Time to dig it out methinks.
    BTW, a friend of mine, and my former teacher, recently finished a five year stint with LRB.
  13. Yes! By all means if you have that album locate it ASAP. The solo is almost at the end of the song. It's about 40 seconds long, IIRC. It's both tasty and technical. It's one of those solos that just comes off very well done, and it is done on a fretless. :)

Five years with LRB? I'm impressed. :cool:

Dig it out, you'll really enjoy it.

Mike J.
  14. joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I can't play it but Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Cliff Burton is pretty damn good!
  15. My favorite bass solo ever is Aeroplane by RHCP........ Flea is god!
  16. dude u should really try and learn it, its really fun and its not as hard as it sounds or even looks for that matter....... just take a while and learn individual parts of it then piece it all together =P
  17. Hey Michael, I dug out that old tape and gave that track a whirl. Yeah man, that's a pretty cool solo, I like the repeating theme interspersed with fast fills, and the tone and intonation is perfect, even by todays standards. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
  18. Im new to bassin' but i think that we shouldnt forget stu hamm and his increible solo in 1988 in paris with joe satriani.
    and of course the usual (Matt Freeman, Flea, Wooten, Burton, Stan Clarke, Me??!?)
  19. Was just what I was thinking. The stone cold bush solo is pretty good fun too i think.
  20. trinket

Nov 25, 2001
    office chair
    I am going to have to agree on the "Tommy the Cat" solo. I'll always have a fondness for that.