Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Coleman, May 13, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    have any best bass solo?(any style)
    (song name - artist/band - style)

2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Water on the brain pt.2 - Allan Holdsworth (Jeff Berlin on bass) - Fusion

3. The first one to come to mind is Bryan Beller's solo on Mike Keneally's "My Dilemma". No effects, no frills, not technically awesome, just a great solo. :bassist:

Others:
    The Who's "My Generation" (John Entwistle)
    Borknagar's "Gods Of My World" (Tyr)
    Overkill's "Half Past Dead" (D.D. Verni)

I might post others when they come to mind.

4. Jaco has to get a mention here. My fave two solo's by him are Teen Town and Havona, both off Heavy Weather. Amazing stuff.

Another vote for My Generation as well.

5. My favorites are:

Jaco-Havona
    Jaco & Pat Metheny-Bright Sized Life
    Marcus Miller- Panther
    Victor Wooten- Sinister Minister (off the live art cd)
    Rancid-Maxwell Murders

6. I listened to some live solo's of Les Claypool at the Primus site and I must say those are cool solo's! Les has such a strange style!

7. The late Cliff Burton did some awesome bass solos! As did Jason Newsted. (check out Kill 'Em All, if you havent heard Cliff's solos)
    Caroline

8. I don't know if there are any 'best' solos, but here are two of my favorites:

1) Bass Solo: 'Run for Cover' played by Marcus Miller on David Sanborn's Straight to the Heart

2) Solo Bass: 'Marie' played by Dominique Di Piazza on John McLaughlin's Que Alegria

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Eberhard Weber - Huhai in. "Twelve Moons" - The Jan Garbarek Group.

Stu Hamm - The Animal in. "Passion & Warfare" - Steve Vai.

10. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Wow thanks man :)
    There will be a few solo's on the next album too, we're in the process of recording now. We hope to be finished around mid-july, so the album will be released some time this autumn.

Some of my favourite solo's:
    Cynic : Textures (Sean Malone)
    Spiral Architect : Fountainhead (the demo-version)(Lars K. Norberg)
    Tribal Tech : Saturn 5 (Gary Willis)
    Tribal Tech : Got Tuh B (Gary Willis)

11. I don't think there is suchn a thing as a best solo, but Wooten does some things that I just love the sound of.

12. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Can you buy this somewhere? I loved Lars work on the full album but was unaware of the demo. I need it...

13. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    It's on the compilation cd "A Gathering..." which contains S.A.'s '95 demo of "Fountainhead" and "Purpose".
    You can find "Fountainhead" on their website www.spiralarchitect.com , you need RealPlayer though.
    Have you heard their version of Fates Warning's "Prelude To Ruin"? It's on the Japan version of A Sceptics Universe.

14. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've always liked Jeff Berlin's solo on " Manos de Piedra" from the "Pump It" album.

15. Oh my God, it is... it is... YOU!!! Hey, man, I can't wait to hear the new album! Have you replaced Jens yet? I was a bit disapointed when I learned he was leaving, the last album's lineup was really great...:bassist: Well, at least you are still there! :D BTW, how about a show or two around here on the next tour? I'd love to see Borknagar live...

I didn't know it was a Fates Warning song. It's good, but I prefer their original stuff.

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Billy Sheehan:bassist:
    Here is Bill's last e-mail to me. Hi Mike,
    I'm in the middle of 4 records---busy time for me!
    No BSP's floating around---sorry!
    I wish you the best!
    Yours,
    Billy Sheehan

17. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    The link to fountainhead seems to be broken but thanks anyway. I have Prelude to Ruin, really good stuff eventhough I prefer their own material.

18. *whispers @ Coleman* You'll find a very similar thread to this one here ! ;)

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    since this is talking about bass solos and not bassists its off to recordings

20. Amazing Grace from the Béla Fleck & The Flecktones - "Live At The Quick" CD and "Liz & Opie" from Sounds of Wood & Steel 2
    Taylor Guitars Sampler
    Are 2 really good ones from Woo-10.