Best Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Coleman, May 13, 2003.

1. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    have any best bass solo?(any style)
    (song name - artist/band - style)
  2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Water on the brain pt.2 - Allan Holdsworth (Jeff Berlin on bass) - Fusion
  3. The first one to come to mind is Bryan Beller's solo on Mike Keneally's "My Dilemma". No effects, no frills, not technically awesome, just a great solo. :bassist:

The Who's "My Generation" (John Entwistle)
    Borknagar's "Gods Of My World" (Tyr)
    Overkill's "Half Past Dead" (D.D. Verni)

I might post others when they come to mind.
  4. Jaco has to get a mention here. My fave two solo's by him are Teen Town and Havona, both off Heavy Weather. Amazing stuff.

Another vote for My Generation as well.
  5. My favorites are:

Jaco & Pat Metheny-Bright Sized Life
    Marcus Miller- Panther
    Victor Wooten- Sinister Minister (off the live art cd)
    Rancid-Maxwell Murders
  6. I listened to some live solo's of Les Claypool at the Primus site and I must say those are cool solo's! Les has such a strange style!
  7. The late Cliff Burton did some awesome bass solos! As did Jason Newsted. (check out Kill 'Em All, if you havent heard Cliff's solos)
  8. I don't know if there are any 'best' solos, but here are two of my favorites:

1) Bass Solo: 'Run for Cover' played by Marcus Miller on David Sanborn's Straight to the Heart

2) Solo Bass: 'Marie' played by Dominique Di Piazza on John McLaughlin's Que Alegria
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Eberhard Weber - Huhai in. "Twelve Moons" - The Jan Garbarek Group.

Stu Hamm - The Animal in. "Passion & Warfare" - Steve Vai.
  10. Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Wow thanks man :)
    There will be a few solo's on the next album too, we're in the process of recording now. We hope to be finished around mid-july, so the album will be released some time this autumn.

Some of my favourite solo's:
    Cynic : Textures (Sean Malone)
    Spiral Architect : Fountainhead (the demo-version)(Lars K. Norberg)
    Tribal Tech : Saturn 5 (Gary Willis)
    Tribal Tech : Got Tuh B (Gary Willis)
  11. I don't think there is suchn a thing as a best solo, but Wooten does some things that I just love the sound of.
  12. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Can you buy this somewhere? I loved Lars work on the full album but was unaware of the demo. I need it...
  13. Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    It's on the compilation cd "A Gathering..." which contains S.A.'s '95 demo of "Fountainhead" and "Purpose".
    You can find "Fountainhead" on their website , you need RealPlayer though.
    Have you heard their version of Fates Warning's "Prelude To Ruin"? It's on the Japan version of A Sceptics Universe.
  14. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I've always liked Jeff Berlin's solo on " Manos de Piedra" from the "Pump It" album.
  15. Oh my God, it is... it is... YOU!!! Hey, man, I can't wait to hear the new album! Have you replaced Jens yet? I was a bit disapointed when I learned he was leaving, the last album's lineup was really great...:bassist: Well, at least you are still there! :D BTW, how about a show or two around here on the next tour? I'd love to see Borknagar live...

I didn't know it was a Fates Warning song. It's good, but I prefer their original stuff.
  16. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Billy Sheehan:bassist:
    Here is Bill's last e-mail to me. Hi Mike,
    I'm in the middle of 4 records---busy time for me!
    No BSP's floating around---sorry!
    I wish you the best!
    Billy Sheehan
  17. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    The link to fountainhead seems to be broken but thanks anyway. I have Prelude to Ruin, really good stuff eventhough I prefer their own material.
  18. *whispers @ Coleman* You'll find a very similar thread to this one here ! ;)
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    since this is talking about bass solos and not bassists its off to recordings
  20. Amazing Grace from the Béla Fleck & The Flecktones - "Live At The Quick" CD and "Liz & Opie" from Sounds of Wood & Steel 2
    Taylor Guitars Sampler
    Are 2 really good ones from Woo-10.