Best Bass Sound:Original Best of Mountain or Remastered

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jim T., May 30, 2005.

1. If anyone has had the opportunity to compare, I'd like to know which version of The Best of Mountain (Felix, Leslie, Corkey)-the original CD version or the newer (2002) remastered version has the clearest/most present bass sound.

Felix is the first bassist I saw live who made me want to play bass.

Thanks for your help. I'd like to purchase one or the other version of these CDs soon but wanna hear da bass as clearly as possible.

Do the songs, i.e. "Mississippi Queen", etc. have more or less impact in your opinion on the remastered version?

Jim T.
  2. I have an old, anonymous Mountain 'best-of' and several of the remastered albums, and I can honestly say unless you compare them directly there ain't too much difference. I'd say go for the remasters because they normally have a bit more presence and often have nice liner notes.

Felix's tone is incredible... Like an ancient hippopotamous being awakened from a long slumber. It MOANS!
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's the weirdest/best description of a bassists tone ever. Nickthebassist should take notes.
  4. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

One of the most amazing recordings of Felix is a Trademark of Quality bootleg of a New Years Eve show at the Fillmore.
  5. Thanks Kink Rimson and you all.
    Yes, for the uninitiated, Felix's tone was the farty/overdriven/fuzz tone similar to Jack Bruce's with Cream. I never really liked it much but I would like to hear Felix's parts with more clarity.

The main reason I'm asking is that on the original albums, most of the bass was mixed very low in volume compared to Leslie's guitar and it's hard to hear him. I'm hoping that the bass volume was brought up significantly in the remixes especially on the "The Best of...".

Sounds like maybe this wasn't the case then? Anyone else own or heard both versions of the Best Of... CDs? The better liner note booklets with remasters are an attraction for me but I'll still go with the most audible bass parts/version over that feature.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Most remasters are pretty weak. They just make it... louder...
  7. Well...the jury is still out. If I find either CD when I go to the big city tomorrow I guess I'll pick up whichever I find...

BUT, just in case I don't find either, I'd still be interested in hearing more opinions before I decide to order online later in the week.

Thanks again.
  8. Normally if a shop has remasters they normally take the place of the older ones which then get tragically deleted, and burned. :bawl:
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Jim T.
    Mountian was the first band I ever seen too.
    The Tea Party-Boston. 1969 there second gig.
    It was great, they only knew 10 songs.
    Played all 10, took a break. and came back and played the same 10 completly different.
    Felix was the man!
  10. Mojo,
    I had seen Mountain once before, at Woodstock Fest. but as I was still largely a folk fan, they didn't register but when I saw them from near front row seats at the Felt Forum (Madison Square Garden in N.Y.C.) later, ('71 or 72?) I was amazed by Felix Pappalarddi's playing. I didn't know you could play a bass like that! I immediately went out and bought a Gibson Ripper!

Anyway, regarding the "Best Of" remixed version:
    I brought it back from "the big city" yesterday and the bass sounds GREAT! Much clearer and prominent than what I remember from the original LPs. I don't have a direct comparison with the original CD's sound but I think any bassist would be very happy with the digital remixes!

I'm in nostalgia heaven! Thanks for the imput and info guys.

The original version would of course still be available used or via's new and used sections if that's anyone's preference.
    I think Kink's probably right that the new stores won't be stocking any of those anymore!

Now I'm thinking of ordering the band's book from
    Anyone read it? Wondering if it's worth $20 or so bucks.