Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass sound!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Was board one day and decided to go through all the Jools Holland Shows that I had taped (UK music show) and came across Alicia Keys and her amazin band. Her bass player (don't know who he is) had the tightest lowest sound ever and was playin a Ken Smith 6 string. After going through a few more tapes I found the Musiq Soulchild band with another v good bassplayer with great sound and he was playin a Ken Smith also. Do these basses sound as good as I think they do??? Are there any Ken Smith players out there???
    Cheers
    Phil

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - they sound really good but are really expensive. I tried a KenSmith 6 stringer a while ago in the Bass centre in London - but it was priced at £3,500 and has gone up since then, to nearly £4,000!! :eek:

So - I think it was the best-sounding bass I have ever tried, but it wasn't that much better than my pre-Gibson Tobias, which I bought from the same shop I tried the Smith bass.

So I was able to do a side-by-side comparison and the Smith was better - slightly better! But at £1700 and hence half the price, I thought the Tobias was the better buy and within my budget - while the Smith was not! :(

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Thats the thing about living in the UK we don't get to try all the US 'boutique' basses and if they ever come over here you pay big money for them. I've always wanted to try a pre gibson tobias or a US MTD but never got the chance.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Smiths are simply incredible toned-tight sounding basses. I just sent my money on monday for one and should have it by next week, can't wait.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well you can try just about every type of "boutique" bass in the London shops - the Gallery always has loads of high-end basses and so does the Bass Centre. Their stock is also updated quite frequently - so on different visits to the Bass Centre, over the years, I have maaged to try all sorts of basses - and they let you play them for as long as you like.

So I can't think of any type that I wanted to play, but haven't managed to - the big thing though is the price of some US-made Basses!! :(

I mean, you may think a Smith bass is really nice, but is it worth £4,000?

6. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I was at the Gallery and the bass centre about a month ago looking for a 5 string and while they had loads of basses they didn't have one at the time that I felt compelled to shed out a hefty 4 figure sum for... Would like to try a Warwick SS2 though to see how it compares to the big tobiases and the like. What is an average price of a Smith in the US???

7. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - you have to keep going back as the stock changes and they might just have the one bass that is perfect for you - it happened to me!!

Seriously, they are alway getting different stuff in and by going over several years, I have tried a lot of different types.