Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass stands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by morebass!, Aug 17, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I need a stand, something solid that I won't kick over onstage. I'm trying to quickly switch basses onstage midset now. It'll hold either a Fender P or J. Fold-up portability would be nice too. Any recommendations?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPGS7462B

I prefer that style of stand, but my bass's body is so small, the pad on the top goes just over it on the one I did buy, so I gave it to my guitar player. Great and secure, without having to have a lock on it, making switching easier.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah thats what I was going to try next if I couldnt find one of the short ones that fit my Dingwall.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i have one called precision, its very cheap and strong, everyone i know uses them. ill try to find a pic.
    its pretty much this:
    [​IMG]
    the thing that sticks out on the bottom rotates so it can hold jazz basses too. and theres a lock on the top so ur bass cant fall out, even though its a useless lock cuz the bass wont fall out without it.

6. I'm with Embellisher on this, Ultimate all the way.
    By far the best single instrument stand I have ever used.

7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    My vote for the Ultimate Genesis Stand. The bass hangs freely from the support arm around the top of the bass neck so the strap doesn't get caught underneath a stand support like the older traditional style stands. Also, the Instrument cable phone jack never hangs up on the Ultimate stand like a bass does depending on placement of the 1/4" input.

Go Ultimate all the way! GREAT stand!

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    My dad actually patended (sp?) a stand that will not fall over even if you kick it. But it's not ready to be sold yet. It's actually pretty cool. I use the prototypes on stage now. It's nice that I got them free too, hehe.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have typical guitar/bass stands but something you might consider --- have two strap nuts put into the butt of your bass, spaced apart, so that the bass can sit on the floor with minimal contact against the amp.

The two strap nuts act as a stand.

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Another vote for the Ultimate Genesis 100. I have three of them. They're my favorite guitar/bass stand.

11. I have a Warwick riockstand 3 instrument stand.

12. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks for your input all! Anyone using the type of stand that is like a wall mount holder that a guitar shop would use but mounts on your amp?

Rickbass - Interesting idea. I think I'm too much of a klutz to pull that off. I'd knock it over for sure but it makes me wonder why instrument makers don't do something like that. It would be very easy.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw some guitar makers doing it and it works quite well, apparently.

A couple of bass luthiers use it, too.

I probably wouldn't do it either.........I'd take it a music store to get the optimal spacing for balance. But a stand is one less thing to forget and leave at home/cart around.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Jens Ritter uses that concept in some of his basses, at least the pics I have seem to show that.

15. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Raxess makes a 'Guitar Shop Style' Wall Mount Holder that
    attachs to your Rack.

Link

[​IMG]

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    BTW the Hamilton Stand is truly the Ulimate,
    better built and more stable then the Genesis.
    Worth the $30.

[​IMG]

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think it's more common on headless basses - you've got a gap at the bottom of the body for the bridge tuners and it makes aesthetic as well as practical sense to balance it out on either side with two strap buttons. That's the approach used on my two headless basses - a Sei 6 string and a Hohner B2A. I'm confident enough to forgo lugging a stand around, which makes for a lighter load.

I've also read articles suggesting that basses tend to balance better with a higher strap button at the bottom, so there's an added benefit of not resorting to just one in the middle even if, on a headed bass, that is an option.

Of course, it does depend on a bass design that is symmetrical across the bottom; get one of those wacky Thunderbirds and you'll have to get one of those fancy stands to go with it.

Wulf

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It looks very sturdy, but it doesn't look like it gets as compact as the Genesis when folded up. I can fit my Genesis 100 in a duffle/gym bag.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Slater, that is the thing that I like about the Genesis, besides the ability to hold any bass with a headstock. They fold up very compact, and weigh only a few ounces.

Finger Blister, how is it more stable than a Genesis? As far as build quality, the Genesis is very well built. At least it looks and feels that way to me.

20. Both the guitarists in my band have the String Swing thing screwed into their amp heads. It works for them.