Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass store in Los Angeles + Lagune beach areas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mgmadian, Dec 10, 2002.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey All,

I'm going to be in LA + in Laguna Beach for a few days at the end of the month... can any locals from around there recommend a good music store with a large, and well-maintained, bass selection, i.e. not your average Guitar Center.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey Greg- 6 months ago, you would have been in heaven at the LABX, but it is long gone.
    I have only seen the website of high-end Bass Alone in San Diego-Call first, as his hours are sporadic. He specializes in exotics, etc-I've spoken with him -helluva nice guy, but I do not know the store itself.
    Other than that-
    Hollywood has "Guitar Row" with:
    GC, Sam Ash, Manny's, Carvin, Freedom Guitars, & Mesa Boogie-GC has a vintage selection-speaking of which, if you make it down to the Valley,(Laguna is about 70 miles south) Norman's Rare Guitars has a very cool selection of old Fenders & such, although basses are not their main selection.
    Other than that-West LA Music, & TruTone in Santa
    Monica come to mind as good independents, but unfortunately, nothing like the Bass Exchange was-
    Man-that place was special!

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Be sure and walk up Gardner St. there on Sunset Blvd. where GC is. Voltage Guitars has some vintage basses in there and there is another fairly new store there that has some inventory.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I would whole heartedly recommend Bass Alone if you can make it down. It's a very small place (probably not much bigger than a larger bedroom...not a master bedroom mind you) but John always has really cool stuff there and he is very very nice and helpful. I go down there quite a bit and have bought a few basses from him and he is definitely my source for bass gear now. It's a bit of a drive from Laguna but it would be worth it in my opinion.

But call ahead first to see if he will be there.