Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass Strings on the market today!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sterlingballboy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sterlingballboy

sterlingballboy

Aug 17, 2004
    I've been a devout DR String player for 10 years+ and when I discovered the new company Kerly Music: www.kerlymusic.com and tried a pack of their 'Kerly Bass', I was astounded by the clarity, richness, and long life of the strings. Reasonably priced (cheaper than DR's) and excellent sonic tonality!!!! Get your strings today and you will not be disappointed.......

JM

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm getting to be a big fan of Maxima Golds. They are pricey, but they are coated with 24 karat gold, and they last forever.

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    You guys should try out a set of Ritter swordsteels - they're incredible :hyper:

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Most strings are made in the same factories and then distributed to different brands and the brands slap names and price tags on them.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmm... Idk ive never played 2 different brands that felt/sounded the same..

6. 1bassm

1bassm

Jan 31, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I have heard this too. Thats why I get webstrings - cheap enough to change every 2 weeks.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No flatwounds :scowl:

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    In a sense, this is true, as there are hundreds of brands of strings. However, there are also quite a few operations winding strings, including Fender, D'Addario, Everly, GHS, Fodera, Dean Markley (through a subsidiary), DR, LaBella, Thomastik-Infeld, SIT, Pyramid, and Rotosound. I'm sure I've missed a few in this list, but these are all outfits that actually make strings.

I was thinking of trying Kerly Kues, but right now I'm so thrilled with the way XL's sound on my Jazz that I may try EXP's next.

9. Flatwound, what does it mean that Dean Markley's are making strings "through a subsidiary"? Do they wind/make their strings themselves or are they labelled oem-strings?

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Kerly, eh? So what are they like? Tone, tension, etc. Can anyone compare them to D'Addario nickels?

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My understanding is that they own something called "American Winding Company" (IIRC, it's been a while since I talked to them), that winds all Dean Markley strings. So it seems that Dean Markley is the marketing company and American Winding Company does the actual manufacture. At least that's how I understand it. As far as I'm concerned that qualifies Dean Markley as a string manufacturer. I don't think American Winding Co. makes guitar/bass strings for anyone else (although they may sell orchestral strings under their own name, not sure). I believe that Dean Markley strings are unique to the Dean Markley brand, i.e., you can't get them relabeled with someone else's name.

12. Ok, thanks for clearing that up Flatwound :)

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Kerly Kues sound interesting and may be worth it to try on my fiver, but the whole cryogenic thing is something I'm not too sure of. I tried Dean Markley Blue Steels, which are also cryogenic strings, and I hated them. They were bright and clangy for a week, then all of a sudden they were the absolute muddiest strings.

14. It's true about string makers. I played S.I.T. strings for years, since the factory is located here in my hometown. A local music shop always gave me a great hook up on prices, and on the occasion they didn't have what I wanted, the owner always sent me to the factory to pick up a few sets. Once I asked for a tour. It was absoloutely fascinating watching strings being made. Anyway, the General Mgr. told me that they make strings for 27 other private label companies! 27! I saw the packs waiting to be labelled, it's true.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Vinci winds many "private label" or "store/house brands". I believe they are one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, string manufacturers in the world.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I recently had a chance to try out Kerly Kues strings on my old 5-string bass. I daresay that these are the absolute worst strings I've ever sampled.

The following is taken from my (as of this writing) latest LiveJournal entry where I give my opinions on the various strings I've tried over the years. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/dincrest)

Kerly Kues- Like Blue Steels, these nickel roundwounds are also cryogenically treated. However, they're even worse. These strings are needlessly stiff, and needlessly rough on the fingers. I think these strings are the absolute worst finger ravagers I've ever tried; and nickels are NOT supposed to be finger ravagers. Also, these strings sound dull and lifeless, even when fresh out of the package. And did I mention that the low B unraveled during a re-string? These strings are absolutely awful and should be avoided at all costs. I would be more forgiving of Kerly Kues if they were cheap, but they cost more than my favorite brand (which is SIT.)

17. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    To follow up on the "American Winding" part of this thread, they do in fact wind all of Dean Markley strings plus they also wind strings for other private labels to their specs. Tom Whalen of Amercian Winding told me this but he would not tell me who the private labels were.