Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RevFan84, Mar 11, 2004.

1. RevFan84

RevFan84

Mar 11, 2004
    Oregon
    Im still using the stings that came on my bass and most likely there going to wair out soon, im not sure what brands to go with and what ones work best. Im looking to get something good for slaping, but have overall a good feel. Any ideas? :help:

-Jen

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    jen-
    1.what bass do you have?
    2.what do you listen to?
    3.what do you want to sound like?

ohhh... and welcome to TB!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have no hesitation in saying that the best I've found over many years are D'Addario Slowounds - but they're being discontinued!! :mad:

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm really digging Ernie Ball Super Slinky bass strings right now - they're the light gage Ernies (100,80,65,45) and they come in a pink package. I love their sound, especially for slap play. They're inexpensive and readily available. You should give them a shot.

5. RevFan84

RevFan84

Mar 11, 2004
    Oregon
    to answer your quesions:

1)I have a Ibenez 5 string
    2) I like Funk, but play and listen to a variety
    3) Im not sure what i want as far as sound goes...

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Funk like James Brown or RHCP or CC Riders?
    If you not sure on what sound you like, I suggest you try as many as you can. The strings Matt B suggested above will sound great for that slap pop sound as will DR high beems (IME).
    Good luck! Keep the funk greeezy!

:bassist:

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Smith strings are my personal favorites...

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, what type of bridge do you have on your Ibanez? I have an Ibanez 5 string (EDB605) that has fairly narrow bridge slots and most round wound five string sets just don't fit - the .125 gauge (+/-) low B strings are just to fat at the ball end - some brands can be jammed in with a lot of force but I don't like that. My fiver needs taper wound strings. Depending on what type of five string Ibanez bridge you have, you might too...

Do the strings you have on now taper down at the ball end or do they get fatter all the way to the ball?

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    always thinking huh.... good point..

10. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I second Hi-Beams. I don't own a 5, so I can't comment on the Hi-Beam's B string, but I just put some on my bass a few weeks ago and I love them. The most flexible, easy to play strings I've ever touched. Great tone (after you break them in for a couple days)

11. I'd say High Beams are really really nice.

12. Elixir

13. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i really dig the punch and greasy funk and slappability and all around tightness of DR Lo-Riders. they rock on a higher plane.

14. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    If you own an Ibanez and want to play funk then I strongly recommend trying out Elixer strings for a good tone. I have to say they are on the more expensive side of the string world, but they are very good strings to use for what you seem to be after.
    Im my band we play alot of everything, but we jam in funk all the time. I have an Ibanez (SR3000) as well, and the elixers always give me my favorite sound. If you can't go that expensive, also try out GHS Bass Boomers. Those are the strings I buy when I can't afford Elixers.

15. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I just put Rotosound Swing Bass strings on my modded Squier P-Bass Special and it sounds pretty sweet. OLP MM3 has Webstrings nickel 5 roundwound strings and I liked the growl. Might try Rotosounds on the OLP when I upgrade the pickup/preamp though. Or may stick with Webstrings just to dufus some GAS pains

16. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    RotoSound..... :bassist:
    Keep the Funk Alive!!!!!!

17. DO IT!