1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass synth for around $100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King David, Apr 6, 2009.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am looing at getting a bass synth on the cheap. I am not sure how much I will use it, but I want to mess around with it and add it when needed.
    Right now I am lookin into the Behringer synth. I am not too impressed with Behringer for effects, but this one seems OK from what I have read. I am not a huge synth expert, so I wanted to get a few more opinions. Thanks!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    2nd hand EHX Bass Micro Synths are quite cheap nowadays since the newer smaller version came out. That's got to be better than the Behringer!

3. But I don't think you will even get the older BMS for his $100 dollar range....double that or almost double.

$100 range is probably Behringer or if you get lucky and find a Boss or Digitech on Ebay. Even there the used Boss's seem to be going for a lot more than $100.

4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I did not think of getting an EHX. I like their stuff. How do you tell the dirfference from the old and new?

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Good synth pedals cost big bills.

6. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    Old one-[​IMG]
    New one-[​IMG]
    They are more or less the same but the new one is smaller and has a better true bypass system

7. The old EHX Bass Micro Synth and the new version are the same, functionality-wise. The old version takes a weird power supply and is HUGE, but othewise they're the same.

As for the best synth for $100, the Digitech Bass Synth Wah is a very cool little pedal, and will destroy the Behringer for build quality and reliability. There are some really cool sounds in it, but there are also a lot of really useless sounds as well. You can find them pretty cheap used; I got mine for $50 from a friend.

8. Chris from MUSE uses two DigiTech Bass Synth Wahs, and one could definitely say he has a distinctive sound. :)

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    No they're not. The old one is easier to use, the sliders don't get knocked out of position so easily, and it sounds better.

10. Is that what he's using this week? The last I knew, he was running an Akai Deep Impact into an old Russian Big Muff, among other things.

11. He uses that combo for a number of songs, but he's also using the BSW for a few tracks (i.e. City of Delusion if I'm not mistaken). He has two because he uses two different settings, and tweaking during shows, particularly their shows, is not desirable.

But don't take my word for it, take theirs.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...yep...oh, & it costs less :hyper: ...

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    but it has a horrible bypass and is not as convenient to power. Also, it's huge. But ya know

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Size-wise, it's not massively different, especially because it's got the jacks on the sides and power at the back it's practically as wide as the old BMS once you plug it in. And I'm not sure if the XO BMS is daisy-chainable anyway - I heard it wasn't, and I'm running mine on its own 9v supply. So I might as well have a 24v box.

And of course the tone-sucky bypass can be modded to true bypass without adding any components, so that's something of a non-problem.

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
  16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    true about the size

xo bms is NOT daisy chainable

spring for a tbp mod (or do it yourself) and you're in there

it's on my list of "to dos"

17. conundrum

conundrum

May 10, 2008
    Canada
    How's the tracking on that pedal?

18. I would say that the octave tracks pretty well down to about the open A string. Below that, it gets a little glitchy, but how often are you going to need use an octave that low anyway?

19. conundrum

conundrum

May 10, 2008
    Canada
    How about tracking on the synth? People seem to have issues with that on some synth pedals.