1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best bass to buy for less than the cost of a new neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lordziros, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    whats the best bass to buy for less than a new neck for a p bass?

2. SX.

3. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    +10

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What kind of p bass are talking about here? Necks vary in price depending on who makes it.

5. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    depending on the P bass. You can pick up a good used Squier CV or VM neck for less than $150. So, I don't know of many decent basses you can buy for less than that.

6. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    its a 1995 mexican p bass

7. On the 'bay you can get a P bass neck between $100 and $300. From USACG or Warmoth, you can get a custom neck but it will be closer to $400.

Or you can buy an SX bass for $110 + shipping.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What's wrong with the neck you have now?

9. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I was gonna suggest something similar but I am not sure if I understood the question. Seems like the OP has a P that needs a new neck but he'd rather get a new bass then get a replacement neck. I just wonder why ?!

10. Mighty Mite has the best deal for a new neck. Currently running $97.97

I read good things about them, too. Although they have a higher radius than most Fender necks (15" instead of 9.5").

11. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    the neck is warped

12. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    OK. But why do you want to buy a new bass when you can buy only the neck?!

13. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Mighty Mite necks are a little less than $100.00....

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why not?! Any excuse to buy a new bass is a good one, unless you're completely in love with what you've got.

15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I just got an SX fretless neck for my Squier out of the classifieds for 45 bucks. Looks there first.

16. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    And what should he do with that P body? Or what would you do in his place? Watch it collect dust while you play a cheapo?

17. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I got two fretted ones for less then $80 from Rondo. But they're all gone now :atoz:

18. Sell it. Or eventually buy a new neck for it if you really want to keep it. Then you'd have two basses. ;)

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What would I do? Probably purchase a used j bass, then grab a neck at another time when I could afford it. Then I'd have 2 basses...a P and a J.

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'd just get a mightymite neck. I got one here on the classifieds here for $50 last year. Was never even used.