best bass to buy in the 600-1000 dollar range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmaster5632, May 13, 2005.

1. bassmaster5632

May 13, 2005
    soo i was thinking Fender Aerodyne
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Depends on a lot of things:

1) 4-string? 5-string? 6-string?

2) What kind of music do you play? What kind of tone do you want? Vintagey? Modern?

3) Do you want active or passive electronics?

4) Neck-through? Bolt on? Set?

5) Are you willing to buy used? Because you can get a sweet used bass for $600- $1000, like a used Warwick.

$1K could nab a sweet bass, especially if you buy used.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, you asked...

I recommend the Ernie Ball Music Man line of basses.

You want smooth to growly, jazz to punk type sounds? The Sterling.

You want boom thump bangin? The Stingray.

You want balls to the wall, on steroids, crushing madness? The Bongo.

My take on all of them? Comfortable, easy to play, tremendous build quality and sound. Great customer service. Lots of options to go with. All I could ask for in a bass and their creators.

Normal price is a little out of 700-1000 but I do believe there are sales to be had somewhere or another to pick up these basses for under 1000 brand new. Even less every day used. You won't get the selection of color as you would buying it at the normal price of a little over 1000, but from what I saw around town and in the used market, a good selection is possible. And in 5 string too!

Sorry, I'm still on my high from my recent acquisition :D

The Fender Aeros did look kinda interesting though. If you liked that direction.

4. carvin, well for 1k, you can probably get 2 used carvins.
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In the price range you're talking I always consider

• Lakland Skyline (especially 55-02)
    • MTD Kingston
    • Peavey Cirrus
    • Fender J-Bass or P-Bass

All used of course.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Simple question gets you a simple answer........

Fender Jazz
    Lakland Skyline
    Spector NS2000

7. bassmaster5632

May 13, 2005
    1. 4 string 2.i play rock- as far as tone goes i like modern 3.doesnt really make a diffrence to me 4.doesnt matter 5.i will buy used
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA suggestions are still good ones. I would move the Spector up to number one though.

9. Just two words...

10. 90k

May 3, 2005
    here is a twist on your request!

The more accomplished you are on your instrument the lager the selection of useable instruments grows. Regardless of price.
    P.S. I would however look closely at the quality of fret dress :)
  11. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Fender American Series Jazz or Precision
    Music Man Stingray, Sterling, or Bongo. Heck, SUB's are even good, and can be found for $100-$150 less than your lowest figure of $600, brand new.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Best bass in the $600 - $1000 range? A used Peavey Cirrus is at the top of the list.
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Several good suggestions thus far. string spacing, pickup many questions. Fender hits right in the middle. Used Deluxe in good shape, could do much worse.
  14. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Depending on the neck length. Short scale: I like the Jerry Jones Longhorn; Long scale: an American made Fender Jazz. I don't know about you guys, but I've only dealt with music stores that give me a grace period for a tryout. Find one you think you like, take it on a gig or two, if you don't like it, swap it out until you find one that suits you. If you can spend up to $1000.00 your options are wide open. Good luck.

15. Maybe you should try getting a kit bass from Warmoth because then you can get what ever you want.
  16. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Used MIA Dlx. Jazz, Precision, or something along those lines. (M5Yates has a beautiful Dlx. Precision for sale in the forum for only $650).

Spectors or Laklands are also phenominal basses. I've never actually played a Lakland, but I still plan on owning one someday. However, I've played numerous Spectors; and they were all great. I'm still kicking myself for letting a Brand new Euro 5 pass me by for $1050 a few months back. It was just awesome.

Then again, I just bought myself a Bongo. Just make a trip to Guitar Center, or whatever your local "Sam's Club of Music" is and play a bunch of basses. Then see what you like and start watching the for sale forums, ebay, pawn shops, etc.
  17. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another vote for the Peavey Cirrus. Fantastic tone, build quality, serious top end features (35" scale, 18v electronics, ABM bridge, neck thru, etc.) and totally in your price range. You may even be able to find a new one for less than $1K.
    There are always a couple on Ebay. Good luck!
  18. Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    If I wanted to stay under $1000.00 I would get a used Cirrus. You just cant get a better bass for the price.