Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass to pimp out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thomas85, May 31, 2004.

1. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    at the moment im playing an rbx 370 but im borred with it so im thinking of getting a jazz bass and pimping out out with better pickups brige tuners that sorta stuff so which is the best (and cheapest) bass to pimp out for this purpose... i was thinking an SX or an monterey coz they have an alder body which is an ok wood (so i reckkon) and there like only 300 bucks here in Aust. but anyhting else i should be warry of?

thanks

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    If your looking for a Jazz, I would try to look to for a good used Fender Jazz bass.

3. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    hahahahahaha man a MIM goes for like 1400 bucks and used i have never seen one but im jsut looking at a cheap one to get sounding ok im not particulaarly fond of fender if i had money o would but i dont so jsut something cheap and good in terms of the body and neck coz i plan to change everything else

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I hear ya,'

Back in the day, my first bass was a Fender Squier Bullet Bass (MIJ). The only thing original left is the body, tuners and pick-guard.

It now has a Warmoth neck, Carvin PU and a Schaller bridge.

The bass brand new was only $155 U.S
    Funny thing is the Warmoth neck was almost twice as much as the bass itself. Still a cool bass though.

Good luck on your quest.

5. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah i was lookign at the squire P thats in pewter looks nice, so is that working well good for punk without question but is it good for slaping and that also is the tone and sustain good now

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    hot rod an essex.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just get a good bass in the first place.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    ^but its more fun to fix things up, like trading spaces.

9. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah i am saving for a good bass a spector even... i jsut wana relieve some boredom for a while by pimping out an bass

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Better yet, hot rod a Brice!

11. I think a Squier would be the best to pimp out.

12. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah narry a brice to be found in my hood... i think i will go with a squire i jsut wanna stear away from agathis which there made... anyone done anyhting similar? what did you end up doing i know one guy did a squire P alright jsut wanna know about any others