Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass under $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Fender

70 vote(s)
    44.3%
  2. Ibanez

21 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Spector

32 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. Yamaha

26 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. ESP

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Washburne

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Yea,I'm pondering on what you guys think is the best affordable bass,lol....cuz musicians are poor.
    I'm just doing a little homework and seeing what people's preferences are.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, out of those, spector , hands down. but i would say a rick, witch, can be had in some lands, for right under 1000.

3. Here, here, Polly.

You can get a new Rick online for $995. That's the lowest price I've seen so far, and everyone seems to do price-matching. Damn fine bass for under $1000.

4. yea....I'd agree to an extent,lol..some of those beauties have a nice kick to them,and a nice look!

5. you mean Rickenbackers,right?...yea..those basses have a nice,I think....but for $995???? where!!!!

6. zzounds.com

Musiciansfriend, etc. will price match, if they don't have the color you want.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think DP Custom basses and Carvin custom basses are pretty fair also:D

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    IF you could score a (used) Czech Spector for under a grand, I'd say that's easily the best of the bunch.

9. I'm friends with a guy who got an almost ancient rick for around $600, its kinda torn up(previous owner did some weird percussion thing with it, has drumstick marks all over it) and its not much for cutting through, but when you plug it in and strike a note, its like the voice of god.
    I think it'd be great for bar gigs.

10. Of those listed, Spector, Fender, or Yamaha. But I'd also look into DP Custom, I almost ordered one myself, but ended up buying something else non-bass related.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Under $1000, Fender.

12. It's not listed up there, but the Jackson CMG is a sweet bass. You can find it around for about 849 to about 899. It's got some nice growling lows and the highs ring pretty darn clear. It's also light as hell! I was holding it on my thigh and I was worried that I was going to break it. Check it out if you can.

13. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Rickenbacker. I got my '01 4003 for $950 at Mars.
    <----------!

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Lakland Skyline. You can get the 55-01 for $700, and the 55-02 can be found for just over $1000. Either is a great deal.

15. Conklin Groove Tools. Got my GT-5 for $600.

16. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Its not on your POLL but their is a hard to find brand called, Brian Moore that makes top quality instruments. They recently introduced a new Bass called the i2000 that is killer. Neck-through construction and good electronics. It lists for over $1000 but you can usually get one for around $800.
    Check them out at www.brianmooreguitars.com

17. under 1000 NEW? dude. oh, dude. reverend.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Their he goes again, HE'S DOING IT AGAIN! CAN SOMEONE SHUT THIS GUY UP?:p

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lakland Skyline series
    MTD Kingston, Heir, Grendel (Saratoga)

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    UI've played alot of basses in your price range from all those makers (except ESP) & all ther basses were GREAT in their own way.

Fender:
    -MIA Standard
    -MIM Deluxe
    -MIM 60's Classic
    -MIM STD

Ibaenez:
    -SR 800
    -BTB 500
    -BTB 400

Spector:
    -NS-2000 neck thrus
    -NS-2000 bolt on's
    -ReBop's (Haven't played one, but I've heard they're good)

Yahaha:
    -BB4N
    -BB404
    -RBX760

Washburn:
    -XB 400
    -RB 2000
    -RB 2002

Play as many as you can & compare them before you make a choice. Or just buy a whole bunch of basses. ;) :D