Best bass under $700 for recording

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nuemes, Jun 9, 2005.

1. nuemes

Jun 9, 2005
    I've been playing bass as a songwriting tool for quite a few years and have now begun to get into recording.

I've gotten only muddy recordings using my Danelectro Longhorn and Fernandez Jazz bass and would like to purchase a bass that records with clear notes and no mud (it's not an issue of finger style or technique; I recorded someone else's Rickenbacker and it sounded excellent recorded direct).

So... if you had a $700 budget, what bass would you purchase for recording indie/alt country music with mellow, non-aggresive tones?
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My Hwy 1 Jazz records really well. Warm and articulate.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would buy a used late 90's Fender MIA Jazz Bass. Oh yeah, I forgot...I already did! They're not old enough to be collector's items so the price is still reasonable, and 1998 was a wonderful year for Fender. Some of their best basses ever were made in 1998.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For $700?

Lakland Skyline 55-01 if you're into 5 strings, 44-01 if you're a 4 string guy. Can be had for $700 new, and less used. Great instruments all around; I'd snatch one up if I had the means.
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, a Fender J or even a P should do the trick. Getting a bass to track well is an excercise in "tricky simplicity". With the exception of Vocals on no other instrument will so much of the performer come through on the recording, IMO.
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Only one way to go here: Ibanez SRX705!!!
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have always wanted to play one of those. You just don't see them up here. :eyebrow:
  8. nuemes

Jun 9, 2005
    The Lakland 44-01 looks good from their website. I've heard a few recommendations for the Music Man SUB bass as it's in the same price range. Any idea how the two differ sound-wise?
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally would look for a used Reverend Rumblefish or just about anything second hand with the "G&L" logo on the headstock.

To tell you the truth I would expect that Fernandez to record excellently.

What are you using as a preamp? Have you ever heard of the "Sans Amp" product? It may be all you need.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Reverends would also be an excellent (probably better than the Lakland) choice. I've heard that G&Ls can be a bit spotty on the preamp noise. Some are dead quiet, others have a hiss to them that you can't get rid of.

And, I thought the same thing about the Fernandez, but it's possible it's one of their rock bottom models. Who are we to judge? Man wants a new bass, right? (Chronic GAS suffering makes me totally understand).
  11. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    With a $700 budget I'd get a new Ibanez SRX700. Great recorded sound, no noise and an excellent neck that won't be a shock to you after the Danelectro. I have the SRX300 (similar to the SRX700) which I've used for recording and live. It has replaced my old Fender P for almost everything I do. It's just a better bass. The SRX700 is even better.
  12. To quote Marv Albert: YES!
    In fact, I'm going to the studio with my white Reverend in about an hour. :bassist:
  13. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    A used MIA Fender P.
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    For recording this type of music, I'd go Fender, either Jazz or Precision. For the mellow, non-aggressive tones you want, a rosewood fretboard Precision might be best, and a Highway 1 or used American Standard/Series would fit the bill. They're certainly easy to find. I bought a '94 Foto Flame Precision largely for those tones, and I've been very happy.

The Lakland 44-02 Skyline also offers mellow tones, plus has loads of flexibility. It would be a good choice, and used ones would be in your range.

Now that I think of it, a used Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, which is a Precision copy, would be great too. Many prefer them to the MIA Fenders, and there's no question the Lindy Fralin pickup delivers excellent tone. They're not as easy to find though.
  15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L Tribute L 2500 or L 2000
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No offense man, but the dude wants mellow, not bland.
  17. masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005
    I researched this issue for about 3 months, trying to find the ideal bass in that price range with the biggest tone variation and I found it:

Schecter Stiletto Studio

It comes in 4, 5, and 6 string versions. (I have the 5). It sounds absolutely amazing. Neck-through construction, active-electronics, EMG-HZ pickups, and the sustain is incredible. Fast neck, Zero Buzz, No dead spots. It feels solid and it's nearly as comfortable to hold as a warwick, and sounds better (but then again, I'm not a warwick fan, either). And if you care, the wood finish is sexy as hell.

Schecter is a relative newcomer to the field, but I'd sooner give them a try than Ibanez. I've been f***ed by their QC on too many occasions.
  18. nuemes

Jun 9, 2005
    I tried recording the Fernandez Jazz bass (Japan made, bought used for $360 about 8 years ago) through two recording chains:

Fernandez > Avalon M5 > FMR RNC compressor > Rane EQ > ADAT

Fernandez > PODxt (the one for guitar) > FMR RNC compressor > Rane EQ > ADAT

The chain that sounded best was through the PODxt(!) because the tone needed to be manipulated so much to get something reasonable. Also, the Rane was used to cut at -12dB at 40hz & 63hz and -4dB at 100hz to keep the bass from making a muddy, earthquake sound on subwoofers.

A few songs recorded with the Fernandez using that chain: