1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Bass Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jimbowhit7, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I'm considering buying a wah pedal for my bass, and I've been considering either a Bass Cry Baby, a Morley Dual Bass Wah, or a Cliff Burton Power Fuzz Wah pedal. Any opinions on which is the best?

Also, does anyone know if the fuzz on the PFW cause any low end loss?

2. There’s no best, they sound different. Are you looking for a sound in particular?

There’s plenty of choices out there, depending on your budget too.

RobertUI and Gearhead17 like this.
  3. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I guess I'm partial to the bass wah sound on songs like "My Wave" by Soundgarden and "I Stay Away" by Alice in Chains. I also like fuzz wah tones a lot, too (like in Metallica's earlier work, and some of Tool's songs).

4. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Try and hunt down one of the old chrome Morley Power Wah series; Power Wah, Power Wah Fuzz, or the Power Wah Boost. There's no other wah out there I've tried that comes close to what these things can do. If you can find one, snag it. You'll thank me later.

5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This is my favorite model of all the Line 6 offerings. What I really like in a wah, outside of its tone, is switchless auto on and off, like the Dunlop 105q bass wah or the line 6 helix, Which you can set to turn off in the heel down position.

I really like the 105Q, very adjustable, getting as funky or as subtle as you want. Mine does not exhibit any of the tone suck that I’ve read so much about.

6. Ok, I’ll listen to those 2 songs and try to catch what you’re looking for.

7. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I love my weeping demon. It's been on my board for over ten years.
    I've tried many wahs and not found one that works as well for me

8. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I've heard of that one before. I like the idea of the Tone-Lok pedals a lot. Does it have any low end loss? I don't want a wah pedal that cuts out my low end.

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This is also the one I would suggest to anyone looking for a good solid bass wah. It's what I use. I like the fact that it's switchless and has a volume and Q control. These things alone are killer. There is even a pot inside to change the delay time of where the wah kicks in when you start to sweep the treadle.

I haven't tried a ton of wahs so it's not like I know most well. But I look at it this way, the way I am with pedals in general, I get OCD about them and wont rest till I find the ones in most categories that suite me and my needs. I got a 105q like 5 years ago and that was that. I haven't had the urge to get any others since. I mean, there are a few I'd like to try, a Wilson, the Ibanez Wheeping Demon, that newer Geezer wah, the Power Fuzz Wah, but overall, the 105q just does it for me. And mine doesn't have the tone suck either. I like the white housing too. Stands out, looks cool.

I need to dig into the HX ones. I have barely messed with them....

10. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I'm leaning towards saving up for a Crybaby Bass Wah Mini, since its lighter, has the smaller footprint, and that control you mentioned in your post. However, I'm also really intrigued by the Weeping Demon. It sounds nice, and I like the Tone-Lok design.

Inconnu and gregmon79 like this.
  11. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    Both my Strymon Mobius and Eventide H9 have really good wah, auto wah and filter options. Out of the two. I prefer the H9 out of the two but both are very very usable. For me, getting one that works well with other effects is the trick.

12. DiMarco

DiMarco

Feb 4, 2010
    the Netherlands
    This. It engages when you touch it. No stomping required. Never crackles and sound great!

Larchi, Loring, Helix and 1 other person like this.
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I hear the Demon is a really good wah. However, if size is a concern to you, the Demon is UGE! Heavy too from what I hear. But as far as wah's go, I was always able to sacrifice those things for a good functional and sounding wah.

caledoneus83 likes this.
  14. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    size is honestly a secondary concern for me, but the main feature of the downsized Cry Baby that interests me is the auto return switching. Does the full sized version have the same feature?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    gregmon79 likes this.
  15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tychobrahe/Chicago Iron Parachute Wah.

Korladis and gregmon79 like this.
  16. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    @Benjamin Strange should know what type of Wah Ben Shepherd was using on My Wave. You may want to ask him.

17. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    I love my Dual Bass Wah...

47E3F177-F8BE-4D0E-8B81-2B3EADB39AF1.

The two modes are really good. The standard Wah is very smooth but sounds really nice. The Funk Wah mode has a much more envelope filter vibe to it so great for some P-Funkisms. That takes a bit of getting used to so that you find the sweet spots and where the quack is. Both modes work great fed with some overdrive fro a more synthy effect.

To my ears anyway and with the flats I use. Ultimately only your ears will tell you is you prefer it or another Wah.

Unemploid, Korladis, Rickter and 2 others like this.
  18. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    The Dual Bass Wah is one of the ones I'm really interested in because it has two effects built into it. I've also heard that Morley's build quality is almost untouchable, even compared to companies like Dunlop. I also like that it's a little bit cheaper, and I could get a used one for MUCH less than a used Cry Baby.

Rickter and TrevorR like this.
  19. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    The build is certainly bomb proof.

Korladis and Rickter like this.
  20. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    For the $389 that the builder charges, the OP could buy about 3-4 of the offered suggestions and still have change. I know, I know, vintage. But what makes this such a great choice?