Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass Wireless?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KenP, Dec 6, 2004.

1. KenP

KenP

Mar 28, 2003
    Chicago
    I have tried numerous wireless units and most of them suck for bass. I always lose my attack while slapping and almost anytime I play a low B. So without spending a grand, what is the bess wireless for bass? Money is no object, but I do have a limit for what I think is acceptable.

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I can only speak about Nady. I have used them since 1988
    and never had a problem. I have a 101 and a 201 in my rack.
    And still use them both.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Samson VR-1 works pretty well for bass, and you can get a cheap one used.

4. KenP

KenP

Mar 28, 2003
    Chicago
  5. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Anybody tried the Sennheiser 142G2's? They look pretty good @ $500. It's also nice that it picks out the four best frequencies for you to use.

Petro

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I use a Shure ULX with good results :cool:

7. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I use the Samson Airline Bass. Seems to work well for me.

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Sennheiser wireless systems are by far my favs.

9. I test drove a Samson stage 5 (not true diversity) last night at the local music shop. I plugged it into an active Ibanez bass from the shop and there was quite a lot of distortion compared to a cord. We cranked the gain all the way down on the xmitter. This helped a little, but didn't cure the problem. Needless to say, I let the salesman pack the whole thing back up and put it back on the shelf.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    If you don't care about how much it is..then go with Sennheiser, but since I had to limit my spending on this, I picked up an Audio Technica 601G on eBay really cheap. It's uhf, diversity, and has 10 channels you can choose from. It has really been awesome, and I've been using it for almost 8 months now.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You don't want Nady and you don't want Samson. The Shure LXs of various varieties are good. If money is no object, though, why don't you just buy a good one?

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    1. Did he say that somewhere, or are you telling him that?

2. Define "a good one"? I'll assume you're include Shure LXs...but tell us why you think they're good?

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Isn't it Federal Law that bassists should never move around enough to require a wireless? :rollno:

That being said, I have an old Carvin-branded unit in the closet (which I believe was a re-branded Nady) that I used a couple times with my old band. Hardly high-end, although with the signal traveling through Gear of Which I Will Not Speak Of, I can only imagine my tone was improved by it.

I was young and foolish. Blame me, but to a fair degree. ;) With what I know now, I'd stay plugged in unless I could snag a NOS X-Wire somewhere.

15. I've been using a Telex VHF wireless for ten years now,
    and I've only had to send it in for minor touch-ups
    because of regular wear and tear. It's still working wonderfully.
    Although it's not UHF, it's in the upper region on VHF,
    and I've NEVER had any interference problems.
    Very solid, reliable, and doesn't uneccesarily color my tone. True diversity as well.
    I don't know if they're still making them,
    but it's worth looking into.