Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST Bass within this price restriction?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tehdouglas, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    I'm only looking to spend $400-$500 on a 5 string bass, limited budget I'm afraid. This is what Im looking at:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=511362

Is there anything you guys would reccomend? If theres another guitar thats slightly more than $500 thats worth mentioning please do. Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MTD Kingston 5

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    That's a great bass! In that price range, I'd also suggest a used MIM Jazz Deluxe 5, an Ibanez BTB (or anything else Ibanez except the SR series), any Yamaha, or a Brice bass.

A lot of what you get should depend on what music you play.

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Also a great bass for the $$$

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

MTD Kingston 5, used Ibanez SR505 (one of the new ones, not an old one), Schecter

Beav, why not the SR series? Personal preference, or is there something wrong with them that I've never heard of before?

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, having owned one and playing most all of them in the last 8 years, I just think thy're poo. IMO as always!

7. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    beav2k2 do you have experience with the Peavy? Lemme check out the MTD Kingston 5.

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    The shop I worked at had one. It was a looker and no one could beleive it sold for what it did. I did some adjusting on the action and it played like buttah!

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Check out http://www.thebasscompany.com
    They sell direct through ebay. I just picked up a 5er from them for well under $500, it's easily my favorite bass that I own and among the top tier of basses I've personally played.
    Worth checking out.

10. stars

stars

Feb 11, 2006
    if you are lucky u might get a USED american G&L L-2500 for about 500++

if you are keen on getting a new one , i suggest the korean made tribute L-2500, pretty much around the same price and inexpensive for something that apparently has great QC and similar pups and electronics to the US version

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You picked a great bass. Peaveys are durable and well built. The one Grind NTB that I tried was very nice, but very heavy. I've read here that they vary widely in weight.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You might be able to find a used carvin 5 string on ebay in that price range. Phenominal build quality and playability..

13. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Used Lakland 55-01. They usually sell for between 500 and 550, (mine was 500 with case) and they pretty much rule that price range. IMHO...

You might also Check out "The Bass Company" 8 different versions (different: pickups, #strings and scale lenghts) basses all available for well under 500 bucks I haven't played one, and I am pretty sure that the Lakland would be the better instrument, but everytime I see a TBC bass, I want one. Pretty well recieved around here as well.

14. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    There is no one bass that is "best" in any price range since bass preference is all personal opinion, but I have played one of the peavey grinds that you're looking into, and let me say, it's a great bass for the money. I was really impressed by how nice it felt and looked, but most importantly the sound. It has a nice, thick woody sound that I'm sure you'll love.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

15. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Another vote for MTD! They turn up used quite often. If you search around you could even find a grendel, and those are really nice for the price.

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    another vote for the Kingston 5. but not if you like thin, wide necks.

17. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Another vote for the MTD Kingston 5
    There is a five string Beast (sigh: Ivory) for under $500.00 (Parkwaymusic.com)

18. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    parkway music is a great shop. located in clifton park, NY, not too far from albany.

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  20. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If you don't mind buying a used bass, there is a multitude of great basses in the $600 range. Lakland, Musicman, and Fender MIA all come to mind. It's not worth it to buy new, IMO.

What kind of music do you play? What bass tone do you prefer?