Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass You Can Buy!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311 fan, Oct 17, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Duh, what do you think. Its probably some custom bass built out of some guys garage for like, $10,000. But i would really like to know what you think the greatest is. Hmm, Ken Smith?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I think mine is the best.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think there is no such thing and that it is entirely subjective - it's only a question of what is the best bass for you! I have an idea in my head of what the ultimate bass sound is and how playable my ideal bass would be - but this might well be completely the opposite of what someone else might consider desirable.

Others (like Brad ;)) would want to say that no one bass is the best and you need several for different situations. You might well say that the best bass for slap/pop is not going to be the best for fingerstyle. pick-playing etc. - or that the best bass for Jazz Funk isn't necessarily going to cut it for a Heavy Metal bassist!

It's a futile exercise!

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why does it seem that the best bass is never the one I have, always the one I want, and when I get what was the best bass, there is always a better one?!?!

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't think there's a "best". However, there are some truly awe-inspiring instruments out there. Warrior, Alembic, F Bass, Ken Smith, Jerzy Drozd (stunning, IMO), Marleaux - these and others could all be someone's "ultimate" instrument. For some, the best is a Fender Precision, new, old, Pre-CBS, or whatever. For others, maybe Sadowsky or Lakland. For a Flea fan, probably a Modulus Flea Bass. JT would probably say Conklin (just a guess ;) ).

Any of these, and many others, could be the "best," depending on who you are, and what you like.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I don't know...those Jay Tursers look mighty nice...:D

7. I agree - almost. While it IS subjective as to which bass is best for the individual player, I think there is a case for which is the best bass in terms of overall quality, reliability, craftsmanship, appearance, stability - regardless of whether it's the right bass for you. I'd say one of JT's handmade Conklin monstrosities :D is a far better quality instrument than my little $1200 factory made Music Man, hence a "better bass". But I love my MM, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

That said, I'm going with Modulus. Construction is great, they look great (love that headstock :D), a graphite neck should never warp, They have a very clean, well defined and even tone (imho) and I've never heard a complaint about one, which says to me reliable. However, it's not the bass for me because it's a little out of my price range, not quite the tone I'm after and I'd die without a maple fingerboard!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the economic question does come into it - I do think that say, Ken Smith basses are very good, but then in the UK, they are over £3,000 and there are so many other basses available that are half that price, that it doesn't seem practical. I can get a custom-made bass, handmade by a real craftsman (luthier) for £1400 or slightly more depending on options - so I could get two basses for the price of the Ken Smith. I don't know what point I'm making now - except to say that the issue is never as straight forward as it seems! ;)

Like you, I could say with great certainty, that my Tobias Classic 5 is the best-made and best-sounding instrument I have ever owned and I'm not sure I'll find a better instrument, but I'll probably keep looking!

9. Your question is very simple... the best bass ever made, and that ever will be made is the Fender Squire P-Bass...:rolleyes:

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Nah...
    The best bass in the World is the Black bass from the South Pacific...
    We were talking about fish,weren't we??

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Stingray, good call! Modulus rules. And guess what...ive played a Modulus Quantum with a quilted maple board...it ruled! Beautiful, too! Wish i had one...

12. That about hits it on the head. The "best bass you can buy" is whatever you think you want next. And as soon as you get it, it'll be "the best" for about two weeks, until something else catches your eye. This is the price of G.A.S.

13. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Hot Rodded Fender P is the best bass I can justify buying!

jc

14. AHHA

AHHA

Oct 16, 2000
    Well I like my SADOWSKY...........

15. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I'll have to agree with Dave on this one, the best bass is the one you don't already have or either it won't be the best...thats like regulation with buying basses or anything actually ;-)

16. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The best bass is one that feels good to you and is worth so much more to you than you paid. This bass would be treasured and never sold because it's the only one you need. The only reason to sell it would be to pay off an angry bookie or if you lost your arms and legs in an accident and didn't enjoy playing with your tongue.

But if I had to pick one that I like the best: I couldn't. I want a $#!%load of basses that would be nice to have and they'd take up all of my money. I could think of enough basses that tickle my fancy that I could build a bass fort out of them. I'm an idiot :( ...

17. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    The best bass can be a $399 or $2999 model. It depends on how you use it. I have fallen in love with the Peavey line so I will vote for the PEAVEY Cirrus or PEAVEY Millennium.

CHANCE

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Jay Turser!

19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Check back a few posts...:)

Somebody HAD to do it...:D

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The best bass to me is the largemouth, they are very tasty. LOL...seriously Im very partial to Fender. They just have the thump and tone that I look for in a bass, And max made me think a lil here, those pre CBS Fenders were some of the best ever made. Im not knocking other brands, with the exception of Ibanez. But to me Fender is the way to go, with the MM a close 2nd.