best bass you've ever lost

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen02, May 28, 2002.

1. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    so what's the one that you had to let go and now regret more than anything? that you'd sell a kidney to have back....

mine was a yamaha four string fretless i bought when i was 16, i think it was a bb3000af, but i'm not sure, as i've searched and searched and can't find any pics. it was sweet, the only fretless i've ever been able to play to my complete satisfaction.

i was living in radford, va, attending college at radford u., when my terrible ex-girlfriend wouldn't get her fat ass a job, so i gradually parted with a lot of gear, so's i could eat, ya know? and the yamaha went with it. i'd love to get ahold of it again; what are the odds that a tb'er bought it? that would be sweet, especially if they were to sell it to me :)

so, what's everyone else's greatest loss?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek: Oooooo :D

Ric 4080/12 (mapleglo), a 500+ watt Peavey bi-amped rig,
    a `77 Stingray, most of my will to live :rolleyes:.

That `Ray was by my own hand, but like Mr Pigpen, a "woman"
    was the cause of it all. Or, more specifically in my case...a gold-
    digging psychotic Lorena Bobbitt wannabe who spent money like
    water and had the employability and work ethic of a retarded slug.

No bitterness here :p
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    A late 60's hollowbody Gibson with those cool f holes that my dad bought from the bassist in my brothers band back when I about 13 years old. It burned in a house fire along with my brothers drums and Dads piano. Oh well, Se La !#%$^@# Vie.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    lesson here:
    women are evil and will take out all your basses
  5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    After reading these horror stories being single doesn't suck so much all of a sudden.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was going to say a 1964 Fender Precision that I sold to my guitarist brother (for less than my buying price) for safekeeping, under the condition that he could sell it to nobody else but me. See, I didn't want to bring that bass into the dives we were playing, and he had use for it in his home studio. I tried to get it back from him at the end of the 1990s, but the jerk wanted full market value for it. So much for blood being thicker than water. :mad:

But in Y2K I began playing 5-string and I no longer miss any 4-string I ever owned. :)
  7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Three things I'd give both my kidneys, my liver, my heart and my brain to have back :

Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Ampeg SVT (1976)
    Music Man StingRay (1980)

But whinning on my previous gear is quite useless, anyway.

All the best,
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You didn't lose more than your bass did you? :eek:

:D :D :D
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1974 Fender Precision Bass Olympic White, white pick guard, and maple neck. I was one of the first in my town to have a Jazz pick up installed at the bridge position. This bass played incredibly. Everyone who played it commented on how great it was. When the new Yamaha basses came out in early 1980s, I sold this P bass (it was looking pretty beat up) in order to buy a new Yamaha. ARRRGH!!!
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Of all the basses I've owned, I wish I had kept the Yamaha TRBII fretless 5-string and the Stingray 5. Wanting to learn/play a fretless is cyclical with me, so I could have avoided buying another fretless. The Stingray lost out in a head to head with the Cirrus. My wife gets nervous if I have more than one bass.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1976 Music Man StingRay all original except it was refretted w/slab body, sunburst finish, maple board, 2 band EQ & VERY LOW B00 serial number. :(

1972 Fender Jazz bass. All original blonde finish, maple neck w/black blosks & binding, in close to mint condition. OHSC, pick up covers.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ooh, yes: sure wish I could've kept my vintage SVT! Actually I know a guy who refurbishes 'em, but my rack is now just 1/3 the weight of the SVT amp and I'm too spoiled to change back. Still, would be nice to crank up at home (daylight hours, weekends. :))
  13. Brad has it now. I miss it, but in reality, I am glad that it is in more capable hands.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    1964 Fender Jazz bass. Played great, sounded unreal! Had that high output Jaco type of tone to it. Had to sell it in order to pick up the Warrior. I don't regret selling it, but I wouldn't mind still having it!:D
  15. '63 Jazz, just thought I didn’t need it anymore. Sold it ten years ago for £400 ($564) inc. orig. case to a dealer with forsight.
    ...When I think of what they go for now. :eek:
    Purely financial though, much prefer my Sadowsky.
  16. Once again a Stingray from '76-'77 era. I've spoken to other bassists who have regretted the same loss. I sold mine when I was 18 to buy my first Fender. I cringe every time I see one on Ebay going for four figures.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got the best one back.

A Westone Quantum headless, a 1980's Steinberger copy, and IMHO, the best Steinberger copy.

The best one that I haven't gotten back yet is a Peavey T-40. Traded that one for an Electra-Westone P/J back in the early 1980's, because Peavey wasn't 'cool' enough.:rolleyes:

Live and learn!
  18. Nah, you're just hanging out with the wrong women. My wife is always saying things like "I like that Stingray, you should get one of those", and I'm the one saying I can't afford it.

Sorry, guys, she's all out of sisters.
  19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    What about similar cousins? :D
  20. My first bass... A red Washburn SB-40

It wasn't all that great to play, but sounded like a million bucks...anyone got one?