Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BacklashBassman, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Who can tell me wut the best bass available rite now is?????? been wondering 4 a while,, but nevr was sure

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Best for what? Best for who? (whom?)

There is no easy answer, you see.

3. i get it ok...... dependz on style and that stuff ok... thanx......... how good r dean basses? just wondering......

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Dean's are mostly good stuff for their price, but nowhere near the "best". ;) Not even "best value". But that's only how I see it, others may disagree...

It's all a matter of opinion. No black and white.

Even if 95% of all bass players say that Brand X sucks, there is still those 5% which might find Brand X OK and out of those the 1% which totally loves Brand X. E.g. Paul Reed Smith basses are occasionaly ripped apart here on Talkbass and classified as overpriced trash, but there is at least one active member here who loves his PRS bass. Who are we to take his opinion away from him?

That said, if 95% of all bass players think Brand X sucks, chances are that you'll think so, too. ;)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You see there once was this man named Jaco Pastorius, and he played a Fender Jazz bass. He claimed to be the greatest bassist ever, and no one argued that point. He now has a few signature model Fender Jazz basses in production.

There also was once (and still is) a bassist named John Paul Jones, who was also know to play Fender Jazz basses quite often. He is thought by many to be the greatest bassist in rock and roll history.

There once was (and still is) a bassist named Geddy Lee, who many bassist worship as a god. Not only does he often play Fender Jazz basses, but he has a signature model in production.

The point of this story is, alot of people like jazz basses. Many of them are incredible bassists, who other bassist base their playing on. It all means nothing. Many bassist dont play them, and many dont like them.

I think they're ok, but thats besides the point. The point is no one can say what the best is. We could tell you what our favorite bass is, or which is really really good for such and such a style, but bassists dont all agree on whats best, because we all need different basses, and all believe a bass should fill different needs.

Im done.

Peace
    Nick

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say something useful!

Go to the nearest Guitar or Bass store (if youre lucky enough to have a bass store around), and try out every bass you can.

Mess around with the knobs, and the settings on the amps.

Thats how you discover what bass is best.

Peace
    Nick

7. Nick Mans right. I turned down a P-Bass for an Ernie Ball OLP bass, which was less than half the P-basses price. I dunno, The P-bass just didn't feel or sound right to me, but a great quantity of bass players love them to death.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    best bass availble:

[​IMG]

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have no doubt that Mike Tobias builds the best basses around! When I have $5000 for a bass, I'll give him a call! :D

10. There are a few folks who might have something to say about that statement, e.g. (in no particular order)

Roger Sadowsky
    George Furlanetto
    Bill Conklin
    Greg Curbow
    Carl Thompson
    Mike Lull
    Ken Smith
    Vinnie Fodera
    Joe Zon
    Rob Allen
    Mike Pedulla

and many others.....

11. There is no best bass...when you say that a bass is da best it's based on your own feeling with it..and that's different for everyone...

I love my SR 700 and my Yamaha JM 6 er, for me they are da best, but for you I don't know...

;)

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Right on da_witch!

I think you´ll fit right in here at Talkbass! :)

As everyone has said, There is no one "best" bass.

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Mine

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Best bass.. yes there is a best bass... but if I told you which one.. i would have to kill you... so I will keep my secret with me... and no matter what you do.. for your safety... i will not tell you

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im suicidal- you can tell me!

Peace
    Nick

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yes, I have considered this and I'm still putting Mike on the top of my list.

Sadowsky and Pedulla would be my next favourites.

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    there is no best.. i am a HUGE fan of Mike's work- everyone knows that- but there is no best.. its whats best for you. and who says you gotta have $5000 for a Mike Tobias bass?
    some of my faves are.. MTD, Roscoe, Fodera, Lakland.
    but there are many.

18. i agree with the matter of opinon, but, i think that there is a bass that everyone will love, but unfortunitly, it's either in a dump, being smashed to bits, or throw in a wood chipper...

19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA