1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best basses for Jamiroquai style and lots of octave/synth effects?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Omniant, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Omniant

Omniant

Dec 20, 2007
    I play in an electronica band and am looking for a new bass. My dry tone I would like to be remnant of Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai or Dan Kurtz of The New Deal (fast, in the pocket finger funk, lots of ghost notes). I also mess with a decent amount of effects (octave + low pass filter sweep type stuff) and other various things which I want to be reproduced as well as possible.

I've been playing an active corvette proline for the past several years and I think i've forgotten what a passive bass even sounds, so I'm definitely open to suggestions for both active and passive.

I'll probably go the used route as I'll be able to save a bit of money, but I don't mind spending as much as $1500.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Best bass would be a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 for his live sound. However, he did record with a number of basses in the studio which included MusicMan, Fender, and a few others. In all honesty he just played whatever sounded best for a track.

3. Omniant

Omniant

Dec 20, 2007
    Yea...the streamer stage is very nice. Seems like they're hard to find though and expensive, unless i'm mistaken

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    P-bass.

5. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    You could probably find a used Streamer for under $1500, that would be my first choice.

6. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    ^ This!

7. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    I meant this ^

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    a Jazz Bass..

the best thing is, is that the bass has to be very comfortable and playable for you.. if it feels awkward, you won't be able to play it for extended periods.. and sometimes it become a case of endurance..

9. Omniant

Omniant

Dec 20, 2007
    Yea that is totally understood, at the moment I'm looking strictly for suggestions based on sound. I can make my decision on playability later...

although I do get confused when I get a response for a P bass and then a response for a Jazz bass. I know in the electronica genre I've heard of people playing jazz basses, modulus and warwicks. I haven't seen anyone play a p bass at this point but I see 2 suggestions for them.

Can you guys suggesting basses give me a little bit of specifics as to why you feel they'd be good for what I'm looking for?

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Everytime I've seen Stuart Zender he's rocking on a P-bass. I used a lot of effects once and they sound great with a P. I prefer chording on a P-bass over a Jazz bass as well. There are lots of things you can do on a P-bass, and if you can't make it sound good on a P-bass well...

EDIT: Tons of funk players played a P-bass. Early Louis Johnson anyone?

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Low mids, should give plenty of balls for fuzz, octavers, filter stuff.

12. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    You said you wanted the Stuart Zender tone and it`s most associated with the Warwick SS1... that`s why ;)

13. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Maybe recent Zender, but if you`re talking Jamiroquai era then it`s definitely the Warwicks.

14. Omniant

Omniant

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm really not interested in playing chords. It's a lot more slides, finger funk, ghost notes. I never slap at all either.

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I only caught Zender towards the end of his tenure with them. At the time he was playing a red pre-cbs P-bass. When I think finger funk, I think a P-bass. When I think slappity dappity funk, I think a jazz bass. :p

16. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    +1 for a P-bass. or a p-j at most. Listening to the studio and even some live stuff, you can get away with a p with a good powerful but still bright pup and say a maple board.

and just play by the bridge. I would not go flats though, while flats on a p are a classic combo, you also get that "fluh fluh" as I call it on the lower notes. not "Buhhhh"..

17. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    i always thought a Stingray worked well for this type of thing...

18. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    +1

In my mind Zender as always been associated with Warwicks.

19. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    This might seem confusing, but I would suggest any bass with a PJ-configuration. Lots of basses that can be had for a reasonable price in this config. A Warwick would ofcourse be the easiest solution, since Zender played one himself. I would check out some old Ibanez Soundgears (not the GRSR series obviously) and Fenders.

20. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    For his live tones, he is associated with Warwicks. However, he has stated in many interviews that he rarely, if ever, records with them. For recording, he used a variety of P and J basses, some with flats, some with rounds, as well as some others basses. I never read about him using a Musicman to record, but it wouldn't surprise me. A lot of people have probably bought Warwicks looking to get the same recorded tone as Stu. Warwick makes a nice bass, but if I were chasing Stu's tone, I would probably go with a Jazz bass or a P/J.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020