1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bassist of Blue Oyster Cult...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jsbass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Joe Bouchard, in my opinion. Their only bassist in my opinion as well, very good player as well but very uncredited.

Discuss.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

He's the bass player I recognize as The MAN from BOC. Who else has played for them?

3. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Joe Bouchard rocks. I too know nothing of their other bassists, sticking with just the classics. My favorite song has to be Before the Kiss, A Redcap. The first album is a must for any hard rock bassist worth his salt.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    First two albums rock! After that I lost interest.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I love the bassline for 'Burnin' For You'

6. Clayman

Clayman

Nov 26, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Joe was the reason I picked up a bass many moons ago. A great bass player and a great band. I saw them with Black Sabbath back in about 1980 or 81. I went with my best friend and his parents. It blew my 10 year old mind. When I fumbled through the bass break from “The Red and the Black” for those same parents when I was about 12 or 13 you would have thought I had just invented the wheel from their reaction. It made me want to play in front of people, for that reaction. Thanks Joe.

I would have to list Joe as the definitive BOC bass player but Danny Miranda who played with them in their comeback incarnation is a great player and a nice dude to boot. His playing on Curse of the Hidden Mirror and Heaven Forbid is top notch. Live he added just enough of his own take on the old lines without stepping on the vibe. It’s tough to step into a role like that in a band that has that kind of history, but he pulled it off. He left the group not too long ago to play with one of the tribute shows in Vegas (can’t remember which one). I haven’t seen them with the guy who replaced Danny yet but I will when I get the chance.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm pretty sure Danny ended up in Queen with Paul Rodgers.

8. Clayman

Clayman

Nov 26, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Cool. Now that you mention it I think he left to be in the "We are the Champions" show in Vegas so that fits right in.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

He was playing with Queen when i saw them a couple of years ago. They Crushed BTW.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Joe Bouchard, no question. I knew him for a while, took a songwriting class with him through my high school's local arts association, later worked with him on benefits for that organization. Really cool, nice, generous guy. His lines are inventive and well thought-out, with great tone. I take Blue Oyster Cult pretty seriously, they are my second favorite rock band, second only to Rush.

11. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I love seeing Joe Bouchard getting all this love. I only recently recognized his impact on my own playing, after listening to them since I was a kid. All of their bassists have been skilled - but none of the post-Bouchard material thrilled me, so I'll stick with him.

I love the way his tone comes through on The Subhuman on the remastered "Secret Treaties."

12. Joe Bouchard in a very underrated band. My fave period for them was everything up and including On Your Feet or On Your Knees. Agent of Fortune is ok.....getting a little "soft" and after that it's pretty hit amd miss for me. But that early stuff........Hot Rails to Hell on On Your Feet is thundering!

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Didn't Joe Bouchard(on guitar) also hook up with ex-Alice Cooper band guys Dennis Dunaway & Neil Smith? IIRC, they were called Eyescream & later BDS.

Those early BOC albums were big in my rotation back in the early '70s.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Gotta give his lines from Fire of Unknown Origin some love. Vengeance: The Pact was dope for bass, as was Don't Turn Your Back.

That's gotta be my favorite album of theirs.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Rudy Sarzo was playing with BOC last summer...kind of a mismatch IMO. Joe Bouchard is my all-time favorite as bassist and singer-songwriter. Danny Miranda just plain 'ol smokes! I believe he was with a Queen (or ABBA...I get them confused) tribute band.

Riis

16. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

Rudy was too hyper compared to the rest of BOC.

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Joe Bouchard, definitely. And his instructional DVDs rock.

"Veteran of the Psychic Wars" is their best song, in my opinion.

18. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    Joe and the BOC were amazing! The first three albums were astonishing, in your face rock and roll. I was fortunate to meet them as a guitarist I was playing with at the time had been in Soft White Underbelly with them. He got us backstage passes one night and I got to hear them up close and personal.