1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bassist that doesn't appeal to you

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gumbynotpokey, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The recent thread on identifying the most successful bassist that is the most minimalist has gotten me thinking in a different way.

I'd like to ask TB: name the bassist that for you is the intersection of the most talent, but least personally appealing.

I know this is totally subjective. I'll clarify in this way. For me it's Pino. Why? When I hear him play he seems to be perfection. And I know he crosses genres/styles super effectively. And he plays fretless super super well and has made the world take notice with fretless. But he also plays fretted just as well. Meanwhile, although I know he could be considered objectively super superior, his playing is just not appealing to me and doesn't light me up. I heard the John Mayer Trio and the band effect is fantastic - but Pino's playing doesn't light me up.

Ok so who is the bassist you know is rated super great and loved greatly by others, but just doesn't appeal to you (aside from straight up genre)?

Novarocker, TJH3113 and Ellery like this.
  2. Jaco. I can definitely appreciate his musicality. I also acknowledge that he can play circles around me. I just can't stand the music though.

3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Flea. Not so much for how he plays, but for what he's inspired. When I see a guy who's doing a Flea imitation up there on a stage, the first thing I think is "what a waste of perfectly good notes."

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Mono Neon , Stanley Clark, Victor Wooten. Just can’t listen to them for very long.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Anything where the bassist plays a simple,low effort line.

Sean150, rtav and Iristone like this.
  6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've got a couple.
    Flea, and Les Claypool. They're excellent musicians. I just don't get into their playing, at all.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Pino does things differently with other bands. John Mayer is snoozer stuff to me. Listen to his playing with Nine Inch Nails...woah!

8. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    The exact opposite for me.:)

G-Z, richntiff, bobba66 and 13 others like this.
  9. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    Jaco. Thin, nasal tone and WAY too much unnecessary noodling. His tone is so grating I can only listen to a few notes and then I’m done.

G-Z, ICM, *ToNeS* and 6 others like this.
  10. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I ain't gonna name names out of respect for the dead and the living – sorry to disappoint. Suffice to say that there are a handful of bass players who are held in high regard by many for their technical proficiency on the instrument but whose opinion of the role of the instrument differed/differs greatly from mine.

11. It might be a genre thing, I don't know, but:

Phil Lesh
    Mike Gordon
    Jack Casaday

image.

jackn1202, hintz, bobba66 and 13 others like this.
  12. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Victor Wooten. A mind-bogglingly great musician and by all accounts a great person, but his sound just isn't for me.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Victor Wooten. Tremendous talent. When he goes off on a quadruple thumping barely musical interlude in any otherwise entertaining song I can't help but feel like I'm in guitar center for a big weekend sale.

14. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Billy Shennan

15. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten. Both terrifyingly skilled, but I can only stand a couple minutes of their shredding before I have to take a nap.

16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Marcus Miller, but....i absolutely loved a song composed by him - Mr.Pastorius witch i learned to play.

Mili likes this.
  17. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Definitely Billy Sheahan for me. I’ve never been a fan of the 80’s shreadder guitar style of Yngwie and the like, and I feel like Billy Sheahan just applied that to bass.

18. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Geddy Lee. I recognize that he has chops, and seems like an awesome human being, but his music just doesn't connect with me emotionally.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Too many to count. But basically the bulk of the big names you’re currently supposed to like.

I admire and respect their dedication, accomplishments, and talent.

But I don’t generally care for their sound or style.

G-Z, oZZma, rickwebb and 3 others like this.
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Les Claypool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.