Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bassist that most people don't know about?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by awyte, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awyte

awyte

Jul 24, 2002
    Hey,

Just for something new, I thought I'd see who people think is the best bassist that most people don't know about. Local bassist, session bassist etc? Just respond with your comments.

Andrew....

BASSically Music - The Official Website
    [​IMG]

2. i like the guy from Cake, not that nobody's ever heard of them, but no ones ever mentioned their bassist.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Andrew Levy, Randy Hope-Taylor, Julian Crampton, and Freddie Thompson.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know the guys name but I have a roots rock music sampler with a band called Calobo on it doing a number called "Put Your Pipe Down Baby". The band sounds like a bluesy version of DMB. The guy is an amazing bassist. Groove oriented, yet melodic at times and he does these cool little double stops in parts of the song. He has one of the best tones I've ever heard to boot. It's growl but it still has a fat roundness to it. It has a jazzy tone, but it still has enough low end to rumble. I wish I could find more info on the bassist and the band.

5. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    The best bassist that most people don't know about is:
    James Jamerson

He didn't just Add to all that great Motown music, he Carried it on his shoulders.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    AMEN!!!!!
    "That bloke in the States. He was brilliant."

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    arambass:cool:

8. Eerik Siikasaari from a finnish band called Trio Töykeät. Cool player, cool soloist... and nobody outside Finland knows him...:)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've heard of all of them - and of course James Jamerson!

I would say Franc 'O Shea.

10. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i guess im being VERY modest, but i would say its ME....
    i am one of those bassists ;-)

11. I agree with sea pickle. Cake's bassist is killer.

12. Lee Dornan of Iron Butterfly. Seriously. Listen to side one of Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida for a change and hear what I mean.

Greg Ridley (Spooky Tooth, Humble Pie)--more forgotten than unknown.

Ditto Carl Radle...Derek and the Dominoes and Eric Clapton band.

13. ACTUALLY, the best bassist that most people dont know about is Jaco Pastorius. Not one of my friends has ever heard of him. When I say hes the best player to have ever lived, they just say "Then why havent I heard of him?", or "Dude, he cant be better than you, you play a 6 string."

14. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    thats really true, maybe its because hes dead and wasnt in a big rock band.

i also think that tobin esperance from papa roach is a lil bit unknown

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Must be true.. I haven't heard about him, either ;)

16. A few more bass players will know about him after the recent BP mag article, but I doubt many people would know who he is (outside of bassists and studio musicians).

17. SKiRgE

SKiRgE

May 25, 2001
    Anyone ever heard of Tye Zamora, bassist for Alien Ant Farm? Once you get past "Smooth Criminal" and "Movies", the CD really kicks some. I've found myself playing a lot of his bass lines lately. Listen to the beginning of "Summer" and you'll see what I mean. Other good ones on the CD are "Flesh and Bone", "Attitude", "Death Day", and "Stranded".

18. quitactnthefool

quitactnthefool

Jul 26, 2002
    I don't know the guy's name, but there's this bass player in Milwaukee who used to play in this band called the Pottyshots. He technique wasn't perfect or anything, but man- did this guy have STYLE. He was all about the performing, and he just rocked!

19. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Eddie Cassilas of The Tribe of Gypsies and Bruce Dickinson's solo band. He has great groove on the Dickinson albums Balls to Picasso, Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding.

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Colin Hodgkinson gets my vote.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.