Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Beatle Bass Copy out there....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon223, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Hey folks. I was sitting and thinking today and figured that a beatle bass would be cool to have someday. So, my question is, what is everyones opinion on the best violin bass out there (besides hofner). Would it be rogue, brice, Jay turser(blech) epiphone, or something else.
    have a good one.
    Jon

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I've heard the brice are good, but i played a maestro once, im pretty sure itas not made anymore, but i really liked it.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My hard to find Orlando it is the coolest looking thing

4. diggin the headstock on that orlando... never heard of maestro... ill look around for info on that. The only one ive seen was a turser that the dude at a store north of me wanted 650 for. I wont shop there Nemore. All his stuff is majorly overpriced. He wants 700 dollars for a early nineties SQUIER P-bass>nos. Wonder why it hasnt sold. Got nearly 30 basses and theyre all like that and jacked up prices too. jeez, some folks will never learn. NEway, thanks for the replies and keep em coming guys.,..

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have the Jay Turser, and it is fine and get's the vibe real well with flatwounds on it. The thing to remember is that the Hofner "Beatle" bass is not what I consider a top notch instrument. Paul played that bass because it was one of cheapest he could find and he could play it left handed. The Beatles were so broke at one time that Paul would steal piano strings from a club to put onto his bass. Because of this, I would never pay alot of money for a "Beatle" bass. IMO, if Paul had some more money back then and bought a nicer bass, Hofner would have went out of business long ago.

6. hehe, right, but im not gonna get it to be the best beatles fan out there, yaknowwhatimean? I basically like the shape alot and the fact that its a hollowbody. SOOOO, im wanting the best tone and workmanship possible i think.
    Thanks.

7. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    beatle bass
    I bought an Eastwood a few weeks back and have been having a great time with it. I had a Hofner first time around and this thing is hard to tell apart. It has the sound and the faults of the original!

Of course, it is Chinese and inexpensive but it does the business. Certainly no complaints at the price and the guy at Eastwood (Mike Robinson I believe) was a pleasure to deal with. I got the natural as opposed to the sunburst.

I believe that there are a bunch that all come from the same factory - Turser, Rogue etc. Give the EASTWOOD a whirl - at the money you cannot go wrong.

I also liked the tuners on another one - a Dillion. Tuners on mine are too "modern", the Dillions are not the minis but they have a cool look to them

Report this post to a moderator

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I went slap-happy on an Epi and believe it or not it had amazing tone for any style... Wierd huh?

9. Coach

Coach

May 19, 2004
    I have a Jay Turser Beatle bass. Looks great, sounds good, and it is a cheap instrument. I'm very happy with it.

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I got my Hofner back in '65 for $129, and still have it. I've been told that the Epiphone is the highest quality clone out there at the moment and have also heard good things about the chinese made Jay Turser.