Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Beatles Bass (Hofner Wanna Be)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mhearn, Jul 11, 2005.

1. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    One of my dearest friends has recently express interest in a hofner
    bass. He was the bass player in my before he quite and i switch to bass. Anyway, his birthday is coming up asnd i want to get him a hofner, but i dont have the monery for it.

So what i would like to know out of the the rogue,brice,gibson ect.

what is the best hofner wanna be?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I would get the Rogue. I have played a few of them and they are a great Hofner copy for the money.

3. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I believe SX make one as well.

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Jay Turser makes an excellent one.

5. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    I like the jay turser. It has a great looking body

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Epiphone makes a decent one but its rather pricey and not worth the money IMO. I've heard great things about the Jay Turser one though.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was actually quite fond of the Epi Violin basses I played.

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The Epi is a little larger and the control layout is VVT as opposed to VT and the switches of the Hofner, JT, Brice.

9. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    Is that good?

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    If you want an exact (or near exact) copy of a Hofner, the Epiphone will not be what you want. If you want a bass that resembles a Hofner in shape, but has a different sound, then the Epiphone will do the trick.

I think the Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat approximates the Hofner better than the Viola bass, but it has been a while since I played a Viola, so I'm going off an old memory.

11. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Jay Turser would be your best bet for an economical version, best bang for the buck.
    Tokai would probably be a dead on copy if you can find one.

12. SPAM ALERT-- I am selling my Roque Beatle bass if you are looking for one - PM me !!!

13. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    Thanks for all of the input

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    That looks a lot like the Epi except for controls and headstock. Here's my real thing:
    [​IMG]

15. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I'd love to have a Hofner too, but I just can't tie up the $$ and have it sit in the closet 90% of the time (it's a must-have novelty instrument for me).

Two years ago I picked up a Turser (basically new) on ebay. I am totally impressed with build and sound. The bang for the buck is first rate.

BTW - from what I've read Rogue, Turser, Brice (and several others I'm sure) are made in the same factory. I wouldn't be at all surprised, and I'm sure any would do. I do know my Turser is a lot of fun. A great value to boot.

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I have one of these on order...not cheap but I just had to have it.

[​IMG]

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Right now I'm playing a '67 Vox Astro...similar but not the same.

[​IMG]

18. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    There's a Tokai "Beatle Bass" on ebay now for alot less than the the one you posted in this thread.Take a look, I think it has a buy-it-now for $349 and it might go for less in the actual auction. Good luck.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Did Hofner's quality ever increase at all with the price inflation? Or are they still those crappy cheap bass's that Paul first bought one for?