Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best beer in it's class poll!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, since there is some time since the last 'best beer' poll was up, here's another one. The idea is simple, just tell what beer you like the best in it's class. Please try to stick with exported beers as much as you can, as I won't be able to go out and try them if they're only sold in Laredo, TX or something ;) I'll go first!

Ale: Badger's Tanglefoot. I was caught off guard with this one, as I don't care for ales too much.

Stout: Murphy's Irish Stout. Smoothest there is, oh so creamy and with a hint of roasted hazelnuts.

Porter: Sinebrychoff Porter. Sturdy character, but also velvety flavour.

Lager: Sinebrychoff Nikolai. Brewed at St. Petersburgh for Finnish market, this beer is one of the few lagers that have that famous lager edge but are otherwise very soft and drinkable.

I can't really think of any international beer that would come close to Finnish lagers like Karjala or Nikolai, for I like my beer with rich taste, and to my experience foreign lagers are like having sex in a canoe and/or taste way too acid.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Come to Germany and see the light. ;)

The best Pilsners and Weizen in the world. Period. :p

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now that Lidl has expanded to Scandinavia, we have supply of inexpensive German pilsner too. Although half litre can of cheapest pils is still 1,20e here :(

But anyways, I'll come down there someday for that purpouse, just need to remember to bring some Finnish lager to rinse the bad taste outta my mouth afterwards ;) j/k j/k

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, let's meet and compare beers - haven't done that in ages.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    That sounds fairly decent plan, really! Too bad my economical situation ain't the best ATM but perhaps I could come stop by after the new year's, if you would be willing to accomodate me on your floor or something :cool: I could visit some music stores too, to check out all those great German basses :D

On the sidelines, could you mention some nice German beers to try out? I noticed the govermental liquer monopoly store has even small 5l 'barrels' of Löwenbrau on their import list, among couple dozen other German beers.

6. You cannot like Murphy's more than Guinness!
    There should be laws, really.... :)

My Favourite Ales are Newcastle Brown, Old Speckled Hen and Hobgoblin Extra Strong Ale.

I care not for lager!

This is good fun - Let's Petition Talkbass and get them to introduce a "Beers" forum!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't that be - best Beer in a glass ? ;)

8. My favorite beer is Hefeweisen. I get it in a 1/2 gallon jug for $9 at my local micro brew. Gooood stuff, add just a squirt of lemon, and it's superb.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Gonna go Canadian on y'all:

Ale: (tie): Hart Amber Ale, Big Rock Traditional Ale

Porter: Le Sergent Recruteur (Montreal Brewpub micro)

Lager: Creemore Premium Lager

Stout: Algonquin Black&Tan

BTW: Creemore is the official beer of my band!!!

10. Dry stout: Guinness or Beamish (depends on my mood)
    Oatmeal Stout: Anderson Valley or Samuel Smiths (American or British? they are both GREAT!)
    IPA: Lagunitas
    Pale: Sierra Nevada
    Brown: Newcastle
    Imperial Stout: Rasputin's
    Porter: Black Butte
    Pilsner: Pilsner Urquell or Budvar
    Hefeweizen: Franziskaner

I could go into a dozen other styles, not to mention the Belgian beers, but these are the styles that most fizzy-tasteless-yellow-beer drinkers may have heard of.

11. Yes, yes and yes to the Franzikaner! I had a few pints of this stuff a few months ago - it was absolutely delicious! That's the only beer that has made an impression on me in a long while.

I also have to agree with JMX - I don't think I've ever met a German beer I didn't like. :D

Mike J.

12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Best DoppelBock: Paulaner Salvator:)

Sometimes I wish I lived in Germany. . .

13. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Ale: Samual Adams Boston Ale

Stout: Guinness, natch.

Lager: Samual Adams Boston Lager

Pilsener: Pilsener Urquell

Weiss: Weihenstefaner

IPA/Pale Ale: Never cared for them.

And I can't talk about good beers without mentioning the fine brews from Häcker-Pschorr, whatever they may be.

14. Pils: Schmucker Pils
    Weizen: Schmucker Kristallweizen, Schmucker Weizen Dunkel, Schmucker Weizen
    Bock: Schmucker Doppel Bock Dunkel, Schmucker Rosébock
    Others: Schmucker Schwarz Bier, Schmucker Kellerbier

Schmucker is the best beer in the world !!

:D

15. Stout: Has to be Guinness
    Ale: Hobgoblin Extra Strong
    Lager: Stella Artois or Kronenbourg
    Other: Fiddler's Elbow (I've no idea what it is, but it leaves a very nice aftertaste).

16. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    And I bet they brew it somewhere near your home town? ;)

Interesting thing I noted when I visited Germany: Everyone seemed to think that the best beer in the world was the beer brewed locally. So why else go anywhere far away to try the beer there? :oops:

Maybe it was just the Bavarians? :p

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Creemore is where it's at! You really have to try it!

18. Lager: Sam Adams
    Ale: Hoegaarden(best belgian beer)
    Light: amstel

19. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Lager: Killian's

Ale: Sam Adams Boston Ale

Stout: Guinness

IPA: Harpoon

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My Brother nicknamed that stuff "liquid gold", and after I tried it I knew why.
    I'll take a Guinness for my favorite stout, and beyond that I couldnt tell an ale from a lager from a pilsner, etc........... so give me a Labatt's Blue and Im happy.