Best Beginner Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mixman, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Mixman

Jun 17, 2002
    Hi, I need to purcahse my first amp, I've been using a smaller practice amp for a while now and I need to move into something bigger. What should I be looking for around $700? Which amps are better than others? What do I get for that kind of money?

2. I went from a Crate BX25 to an Ampeg B2 and used that for a good while. The B2 Combo is right around $700 new. I actually am trying to sell mine now as I just need the money to build up my rack if your interested :D
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    For $700, you've got quite a lot to choose from, particularly if you're willing to buy used. Unless portability and size restrictions are important, I would skip getting a combo amp and get a head and cabinet. You could get a brand-new Avatar 4x10 for $330 shipped, or go with a 2x10 and 1x15 for not much more, leaving about $400 for a head, or perhaps a power amp and preamp combo. I've seen used Trace Elliot, Carvin, Peavey, and other used heads in this price range.