Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Beginner Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mixman, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Mixman

Mixman

Jun 17, 2002
    Canada
    Hi, I need to purcahse my first amp, I've been using a smaller practice amp for a while now and I need to move into something bigger. What should I be looking for around $700? Which amps are better than others? What do I get for that kind of money?

Thanks

sean

2. I went from a Crate BX25 to an Ampeg B2 and used that for a good while. The B2 Combo is right around $700 new. I actually am trying to sell mine now as I just need the money to build up my rack if your interested :D

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For $700, you've got quite a lot to choose from, particularly if you're willing to buy used. Unless portability and size restrictions are important, I would skip getting a combo amp and get a head and cabinet. You could get a brand-new Avatar 4x10 for $330 shipped, or go with a 2x10 and 1x15 for not much more, leaving about $400 for a head, or perhaps a power amp and preamp combo. I've seen used Trace Elliot, Carvin, Peavey, and other used heads in this price range.