1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Beginner Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AlphaMale, Sep 13, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I played Double bass and I have sooo much respect for the instrument I will save up for a new one even though the worst cost as much as a high end electric bass guitar haha. Any advice on a good beginner double bass? I'm looking for the cheapest that is decent.

2. I've heard that there are these fantastic Chinese-built basses that run about $6K. DePaul just bought one for their bass studio, and I've heard that they're terrific.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Check out the newbie links. Lots of discussion on this very thing.

4. Beno

Beno

Jan 11, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm a beginner and have found the Shen Double Bass' to be very good. I have the SB 80. It's around 1500$

5. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    +1 on reading the threads. The good news is that there are already hours of reading contained therein. The bad news is that there is no "best" beginner bass.

You might start with a playable rental bass to see how you like it, or find a bass that you can borrow.

Do get a teacher (hopefully a professional orchestral player), take their advice, and use their experience. I would respectfully suggest that you don't buy an upright based on what you read on an online forum as a novice double bassist.

Some folks become invested in what they decided to buy and like to see others purchase the same thing. Vendors, simply put, generally want/need you to buy their stuff.

Others' needs or decisions may not suit your situation. Get a teacher who will be an ally, read these threads, and learn more.

Oh, and have a ball. The bass is fun. Just my 2c.

6. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't know the name of it but i played in a store and it was awesome! It's a squire bass, sunburst, that is shaped like a telecaster bass with an awesome neck humbucker. Really cool and great sounding!

7. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Haha this is the Double Bass Forum.

But yeah 6k Wow I can't afford that hahaha.