Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best beginners/budget amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by papaya9, May 13, 2003.

1. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Hi fellows. I just purchased a near-mint '85 Fender Jazz Bass Special (triple black) and just realized (duh) that I need an amp/combo. Can anyone suggest a great amp to play my bass through? It doesn't have to be loud because I live in an apartment building. It would be nice if you can get that sub-bass(?) sound too. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You might get more replies if you post in the AMPS forum. How much are you looking to spend?

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    how much you willing to spend?

4. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Hey man,

Peavy has some pretty inexpensive stuff that sounds pretty darn good.

The Minx110 is pretty awesome. It also has Bass, Mid, Trebble controls and a jack for headphones. Perfect for the apartment.

5. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Is under $200 unreasonable? I want a great sounding amp, but not too loud:)

6. If you are just playing in the apartment for yourself, consider the Peavey Microbass practice amp. Well under $200 and a very punchy sound with plenty of lows at low volume.

For the money, you can't beat the lower powered Peaveys IMHO.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Ditto

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Behringer bx600, 150 street price usually. Great little amp for the money.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Peavey... and uh... Peavey.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Peavey Minx and MicroBass should be within your reach. I would also take a look at the Ashdown After Eight and Perfect Ten. My personal choice would be to put together about $70.00 more max and get a Fender Bassman 25. Oh yeah, the GK Backline series 112 combo that I've heard sounds pretty good.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah, get the fender bassman 25. i know its a little expensive (272$) but if you can find a used one, that would rock. for a bout 6 months there was a new fender bassman 100 at my local Music Go Round, and it was like 260. so whatever, but bassman's rock!

Good Luck

Scott

12. Yep the peavey Microbass is a great practice amp

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to "Amps".

When I was looking for a small practice amp about six months ago, I was down to either a Fender Bassman 25 or a Tech21 Landmark 60. I went with the LM60, but I still think the Bassman 25 is a great sounding little amp.

And, Kurt, check your PM box. There's a love note in there dating back almost six weeks that you haven't read. I think it's been resolved, though.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Peavey, but skip the Microbass and get a bigger one: Basic, TKO, TNT or Combo.

You can find a used one for same $$$ as a new Microbass.

Then when you're ready to jam with someone you don't need another (bigger) amp.

#2 choice after Peavey: any Crate with a 15" speaker. I picked up an older one two years ago for $60.

15. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    You guys are great! I thought I was going to have a difficult time researching mini-amps:) Kind thanks again to you all!

Kurt

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use a hartke B30, got it on sale for $139.00.
    It is a great little amp.lots of great tone, but no
    boom boom to upset the folks next door or downstairs. I live in a condo, so I know what your saying.:)

17. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thank you NV. I'll give Ebay a check:)

18. What_About_Andy

What_About_Andy

May 14, 2003
    tucson z
    peavy all the way. for my first amp, i bought a tnt130 for 200. it can get really loud, so you dont wry about upgrading for a while. it has a 1x15 speaker, so the amp alone is big. weighs around 90 pounds.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I recently got a Peavey Minx 110 off of Ebay for about 80 bucks. Used like new. 1 10" woofer powered by 35 watts. A little bigger and louder than the Microbass but perfect for my apt where I can't crank up the 400 watt 4x10 without paying fines.

brad cook

20. What_About_Andy

What_About_Andy

May 14, 2003
    tucson z
    peavy all the way. for my first amp, i bought a tnt130 for 200. it can get really loud, so you dont wry about upgrading for a while. it has a 1x15 speaker, so the amp alone is big. weighs around 90 pounds.