1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best beginning/intermediate learning DVD?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by radiocycle, Jun 1, 2007.

1. radiocycle

radiocycle

Mar 2, 2007
    Morro Bay CA
    Hi all,
    Iv'e seen the thread about best learner books but are there any favorite "how to play bass" DVD's out there? Beginner/intermediate level of electric four string rock/blues. Tnx for any replies!

2. radiocycle

radiocycle

Mar 2, 2007
    Morro Bay CA
    Thanks for all the replies......... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. jcullen24

jcullen24

Apr 11, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Hey bud, I just picked up the rock bass 1 & 2 DVD Book combo. EXCELLENT! When I get home tonight I'll get the specifics.

The DVD is excellent! It's like having your own instructor all the time, and you can rewind as many times as you like!. I also liked that the TAB was onscreen as you played along. GET THIS BOOK!

[edit]
    found it on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Bass-Ste...1871/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1239973752&sr=8-2
    Jim

4. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    I got the Complete Idiots Guide to Bass Guitar. The author, David Hodge, is undoubtedly talented, but I think having something on DVD would have helped me clear that first big hurdle. The CD that comes included was helpful, though.

5. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    The most helpful dvd I have run across at this point is Todd Johnson's walking bass 1 & 2. He uses as system he calls modules, that are pretty easy, and get you up and running right away. Good luck

www.toddjohnsonmusic.com

6. brimfire

brimfire

Mar 31, 2009
    Wow, I hope you didn't hold your breath for those answers!

7. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC

I haven't run across very many dvds (yet) that I would recommend to a beginner or intermediate. I am a dvd nut (visual learner), and have over 30 for guitar. I am sure there are some good ones out there for bass, but I have seen some duds also.

8. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I checked out his sample videos. Is he mostly Jazz/Solo oriented or would it apply more generally?

9. Memitim

Memitim

Mar 30, 2009
    Orange City, FL
    LOL. Normally I would think that a response like this in a forum thread was someone just being an impatient ****, but almost two years... With follow up skills like that, you should be making your fortune in sales. :)

I keep hearing good things about that Walking Bass by Todd Johnson, although I haven't seen it myself (strictly books, for now).

10. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    He is a jazz guy, but the first video can be applied to any sort of playing. I certainly have applied it to everything I do. Frankly it is the easiest and most organized method I have run across. There may be better or as good out there, I just haven't seen them yet.

There are no short cuts to becoming a competent player, but there are ways of organizing information that make better sense than others. Todd's way of organizing lines makes sense to me.

I hadn't thought about using it for solos, but I guess you could. I am not a fan of bass solos at all, and anytime I have needed to do that, I tried to stick with the melody for the most part.

11. Not sure if I would call it for beginner, intermediate or advanced, but the only DVD I ever found helpful is a Stu Hamm DVD called "Slap, Pop and Tap for the Bass".
    Seems to be a DVD version of a older video tape. It is still for sale.
    It is not comprehensive, nor is it intended to be, it has a VERY young looking Stu Hamm throwing out one great tip after another. If you want a toehold on slap, this will absolutely get you going. Oldie, but a real good one by a true master and a great teacher. Only MHO, YMMV

12. Dave Ellefsons instructional DVDs called Metal bass level 1 and 2 seem to pretty good

13. radiocycle

radiocycle

Mar 2, 2007
    Morro Bay CA
    Thanks Jim,

I just fired off an order to Amazon for that.

radio

14. If you have the cash to spend(and it is well worth it), then Teach Me Bass Guitar is worth a look. It's really in depth and has two years of instruction.

I'm not a shill for it, just really happy with the progress I am making with it.

15. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    forget all those expensive DVDS and genre "style" based ones

and get Victor Wootens Grove Workshop it is the first and last one you will need....

FOrget all the other nonsense

16. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I've been pretty disappointed in the the 3 or 4 I've picked up. (none of the above) Mostly a lot of rambling and playing a few 'teachings'.

I would filter looking for more with somebody with a stated methodical approach -- so the Todd Johnson and others would seem to apply.

17. I don't know. While TMBG is expensive, it really is in depth. Roy is a great instructor and there is alot to be offered on the DVD's.

I don't think there is one definitive DVD. What works best I suppose...

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021