Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bet Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ichi9, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Ichi9

Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000
    Hello,

I'm planning on getting a fretless 4 in about six months. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Looking for durability, ease of play, and of course fat wahhhh. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Two words: Fender Jazz. 'Nuff said.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    In My Opinion. GO PLAY!!!! Try some of the fretlesses out and see what YOU like. -=) Hey its gonna be your bass paid by your money! Pick what YOU want -=) Thats all... Fenders made good ones(Gasps at gmstudio) Warwicks makes couple etc.. etc... try them all out.. see what kinda sound u want and like

DM

Good luck! :D

4. DM is correct. It's a real subjective thing; one man's temple is another man's outhouse :D

For ME, I really like the fretless Jazzes, and I also thought the Warwick Corvette fretless was neat, but I went with a MM Sterling and had the pau ferro board coated in polymer by my luthier and strung with med-light Ken Smith roundwounds. LOTS of mwah and growl. And the fingerboard looks like a Pedulla now :) Mmmmm....shiny.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    SlapHappy: sweeet.. i liked those Warwick Fretlesses also!! Heavy as hell doh :(

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Unless you get the Hohner Jazz...which is a MUCH better bass....:)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My fretless Pedulla ThunderBolt 5 is a great sounding bass. In a couple months I'll be able to give you a comparison between that and a Lakland fretless 5. You can then extrapolate that back to a four. Or would you interpolate it?

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're looking for budget prices, look at MIM Jazz and Cort Artisan. These are inexpensive, have good tone and are durable basses.

If money is no object, for a bright, really fat mwaahh you cannot go wrong with a Pedulla Buzz. Pricey, yes, but like I said, if money is no object, this bass has THE sound. Most studio players have a Buzz or a PentaBuzz in their arsenal, it is a sound much in demand by producers.

Or, if you're looking for that Pino Palladino tone, get an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray fretless. This instrument has one sound, but what a sound it is. It is about halfway between the Cort and the Pedulla pricewise.

Most important thing about picking out a fretless, IMHO, is how the bass sounds unplugged.

Before you ever plug the bass into an amp, play it unplugged. If you can't hear the mwaahh unplugged, try another bass. If mwaahh is what you're after, if it doesn't have it unplugged, you will never get it amplified either.

9. Check a fairly recent issue of Bass Player mag for a 4 string fretless shootout. They gave good results to Fender and Yamaha.

10. Yes, Embellisher makes a good point.

I noticed the HUGE mwah factor of mine unplugged, as well as it's very resonant tone.

I'm just so damn agreeable :)

11. Hohner? Over Fender? Surely you jest! :p

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    there are a lot of good suggestions, but if you don't really have a large budget, i'd go for the fender fretless standard. i love it and you can usually get em for around 350

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Are you saying that Fender is BETTER than Hohner??? :p

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Hmmm...better tuners....better bridge....better pickups...
    phenolic fingerboard for better wear....solid construction..
    GREAT tone....
    It IS a bit heavier than a Fender though....

No...I jest thee not....:)

15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Fender production Jaco fretless is a great bass. It has the tone and is beautiful to look at. For a little less you can get the American Jazz bass fretless. I've not played the American Jazz but I'm sure it is a good bass.

Chuck

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Lower cost...Cort Artisan B4FL (wenge neck, active electronics, very good mwah). Then Peavey Cirrus. Into the next price range I'd say Zon Legacy, Sonus Special or Custom, Ken Smith, Lakland, F Bass, MTD.

17. only played one fretless, a MM STingray, they're beautiful and I want one.

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ichi9, you owe it to yourself to check out a Godin A4. It's an excellent sounding instrument for its price, and well made to boot.