Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best biamp rig for 5-string under $1500 new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Apr 14, 2004.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Greetings everybody,

I'm thinking about picking up a Hartke 7000 head, Hartke 2.5XL cab and Hartke 115BXL cab. I'll be playing my MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe 5-string through it, and I want good response all the way down to the low B. I like the idea of biamping and the flexibility it can bring should I decide to upgrade one or the other cabs in the future. I'd also like to be able to play as wide a range of styles as possible through the rig. Ideally, I'd like to be able to play indoor venues of up to 1000 people with moderate stage volume.

Does this sound like a good rig, or would you suggest an alternate rig in the same price range (for new equipment)?

PaulYeah

2. I've never really dug Hartke speakers. Bi-amping with that head would be a waste as well as it really doesn't have enough power at 8 ohms to make the cabs do much. This will seriously blow away any bi-amp rig for the price you listed-

This cab:
    Acme Low B-4 (4 ohms) $695

This pre-amp:
    SansAmp RBI Pre-Amp $299

Or this one:
    BBE BMAX Pre-Amp $299

This amplifier:
    QSC RMX 1450 $299

And put it all in one of these-
    SKB 4 Space Rack $124.99

That will leave you enough money to get the proper cables. I would also suggest a power strip with a high joule rating (such as something for construction, etc...). I found a great one at Walmart for $10 that has a 15' extension chord built in. Eventually you might want to fill the empty rack space with a tuner, power conditioner, effects processor, etc... I like spending other peoples money!

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yep, I'll second that!

Alex

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooooooh yea...

an Acme 4x10 will most definitely negate the need for any biamping. :cool:

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You could also go with a pair of Acme B2's as opposed to a single B4, which would give you a huge range of setup possibilities. You can stack them in a typical 4x10 setup, vertically as a 1x10s, or put them next to each other horizontally for maximum floor coupling. Another interesting option that I've used - pick up a couple of the kickback amp stands and all of a sudden you've got wedge monitors.

It's REALLY portable, goes way low and will leave your pants flappin' in the breeze once they've been broken in.

Lonnybass

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've tried bi-amping with both Hartke and Eden heads and several speakers, and have always been unimpressed with the results.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I second guyplaysbass's recommendation. I use a couple Acme low B2s, and they completely eliminate the need for biamping. They cover lows better than biamp rigs.

If you were to go used, I'd recommend:

-2 8 ohm Acme Low B2s (about $600 total) or if you don't mind only have a 410, the B4 can be found for about $450-500
    -An AB International 1100A poweramp ($200-300)
    -A Demeter preamp ($400-500)
    -and you could get an SKB case for $50

8. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Hartke is now out the window, and the Acme rig is what I'm GASsing for.

Does anyone know where I can get the QSC RMX 1450 for $299?

Thanks,
    PaulYeah

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    A lighter-weight alternative to the QSC is a crown XLS-602 (or XLS-402) which can be found as cheap as $270, I believe. (ask MJ5150)

10. The link I posted to the amp was from musiciansfriend.com. You can buy it from them for $299 or Guitar Center (if you have one near you) for the same price.

11. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Musician's Friend wants $399.99 for it. :crying:

12. SORRY! Don't know how I managed to botch that. Still, considering the total (w/o cables) is $1517.99... that's right in the ballpark. If you shopped E-Bay for the amp, pre-amp, and rack case you might be able to save a few bucks.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Hartke HA4000 has a true subwoofer out along with a DBASS (for Deep Bass) tone control that is just killer. It is meant for a true sub woofer that can handle the low B. It only sends the deepest, low notes to the sub...without having to bi-amp and set it all up.

At some point I'm going to get a cab that is meant as a true subwoofer. Yeah, those Acme's go real low. I plugged an 18" cab into the subwoofer out (well, into an amp that was plugged into it) and it is very deep...almost inaudible...but man, can you feel it!!!

14. If you're splitting the frequencies of a signal and sending it to two different amplifiers this is by deffinition bi-amping. Also, I have bi-amped for years to be able to get the lows I wanted clear enough. The Acme Low B-4 completely blows away any bi-amp system I have ever played on. It often puts the house subs to shame in clubs. There is nothing in it's size, weight, and price range that compares... nothing! IMO bi-amping is no longer necessary considering what modern speaker designs are capable of doing.

15. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Good to hear you're going to Acme route. It's a LOT more portable, sounds a million times better and will offer a ton more versatility in my opinion than the biamp rigs you are looking at.

Don't skimp on power though, and consider how much wattage the power amps you're looking at will do under various conditions. I have a pair of the 4 ohm B2s and have about 900 watts for EACH enclosure from my big Stewart. Too little, and you won't get the full results and could risk damaging the voice coils. And make sure you give them some time to break in - I made this mistake when I first got my speakers. The speaker surrounds are stiffer than on other boxes, and take some time to loosen up.

Lonnybass

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well yes of course, it is bi-amping...but you don't have to set anything up (i.e.- crossovers, etc.). It just needs a seperate power amp to drive the subwoofer. And yes, I'd agree wholeheartedly that with today's modern designs, bi-amping is not really necessary anymore.

I don't bi-amp mine...I don't use a sub cab...I just tried it out with one to see what it sounded like. My amp/cab gives me all the tone and volume I want straight up.

17. Sorry, your explanation was just a little un-clear. I wasn't trying to be brash.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow! 900 watts to a B2? sheesh... that's insane!

and yea, you gotta ease the speakers into the break in. you're not gonna quite get that Low B slam, when they're fresh outta the box. but need to give it some time to properly break in.

and, dont slam the cabs with massive volume and wattage just yet. play your rig at a comfortable practice level, and over a course of a few days, slowly bring them up to volume. over a few days, my B1 pair and B4 opened up gloriously.

course, i've since heard that Andy now offers a "pre-treated" speaker that's already broken in. *shrug*

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's what I've got since I upgraded from Mackie M1400 to QSC PLX 3002. Mmm, headroom...

Alex

20. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Could someone outline the cables I'd need for the preamp --> poweramp --> cabinet setup, and make some recommendations? Thanks!