Best big company to have car audio equipment installed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I'm getting a new car pretty soon, but since its a lot nicer than my current car, and much more confusing under the hood and in the head unit area, so I was thinking about bringing it to a big store to have my junk installed. Now I've already heard horror stories about some places. Two of those stories involved the car lighting on fire.

So where is the best place in RI or NE to have car audio stuff installed for reasonably cheap?

Tech junk.

Car:Chrysler Cirrus lxi
    Alpine head unit, infinity speakers, hifonics sub amp, RE sub.

The sub amp is 2000 watts, so I need 2gauge or thicker in the install. Any ideas?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Take it to a local place that's been in your area for a long time. They'll probably know a lot more about what they're doing and they'll often be able to offer little touches that come from a lot of professional experience.

brad cook
  3. I don't there are any places like that around here. Except maybe SoundFX but they're way overpriced and still probably know jack about correct car audio installation.

That and they'd probably slap a huge SoundFX sticker on my car without asking.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

But think how totally WICKED that would look between your "No Fear!" and "Rude Boy" stickas!!

brad cook
  5. Very true.*

*Luckily it's very not true.
  6. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I would normally reccommend supporting the local guys, but if you don't trust them I guess you have 2 options for big companies. Best Buy and Circuit City. I've never used either, I always install all my own electronics, but I took my ma's car to have a headunit put in at Best Buy and they did a fine job. Of course I stood there and watched them almost the entire time so maybe they just acted like they knew what they were doing. :meh:
    Really it would depend on who exactly is touching your car. There are competent people working at Best Buy, well at least the one near me. :) Don't let some newbie who just started training try to install anything on your car.

7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Look for word of mouth suggestions for people you know that have had work done in your area. Local or big company, it really depends on the individual who is installing your system.
  8. Hey Bryan,

There are actually quite a few local places in RI and neighboring Mass that do audio installation. I used an online phone book and got a few hits. I typed "car audio" for a search word.

I know of one on Mineral Spring ave in North Providence. RI Auto Radio They have been there a long time so I assume they are not some fly by night company.

I can not give you any personal recommendations including this one, but a good idea would be to check out the BBB for anything negative.

The only other thing I can recommend, If we are talking about a brand new (2005-2006) Chrysler. A lot of newer cars have the heater control displays and what not kind of intergraded, especially if your model has a navigation system. Take a look at the trim panel that surrounds the OEM radio. If there are any multi function switches that control the audio and anything else, you may want to reconsider or at least make sure they can install you stuff with out disabling anything. If they screw up anything it will definitely void your warranty.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Car Toys has always done me right, but I do not think they reach all the way to Rhode Island. After them, I would trust Best Buy.

10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've heard stories about Best Buy. Let's just say that what they ended up installing involved the customer bending over.

brad cook
  11. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    you probably don't want to go to a chain ti'll be done bu some kid making 8 bucks an hour that doeson't give a ****, I'd look into a local place that has been in the area forever and is not a chain.
  12. Was she hot?

13. Its a 98 Chrysler, and the radio is just in one unit, all the other controls are seperate. Although the radio unit is one of the double sized ones, so I'd need one of those adapter thingys.