Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Billy Sheehan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I've heard alot of talk about Big Billy, but have personally never really heard any of his stuff. Could someone maybe tell what songs are his best for skill and just overall good bassmanship? Thanks guys!

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I always liked his work on Tony MacAlpine's Edge of Insanity, His Niacin work is great, and the Talas stuff is spotty, but great, especially the live stuff. I haven't been able to get into his latest solo albums that much for some reason, but I really liked the Explorers Club CD. As for the Mr. Big stuff, I think the Hey Man album had some of his better (not as fast and flashy, for that go to Lean Into It) lines, but their cover of Mr. Big makes the Bump Ahead album worth the purchase all by itself.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really like his work with Niacin! Check out the live DVD, Billy even looks cool sitting down.......tears it up too :bassist:

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I also second the suggestion of Niacin. Haven't heard his other stuff; couldn't say. But his Niacin material is way cool. Ya gotta check it out... :cool:

MM

5. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    he is porbably more famous for his addicted to that rush solo. but, i find his two new solo albums are great. especially, three days blind and caroline. those two songs have a nice bluesy and rocky groove.

6. There's a Rush tribute cd out there , 'Working Man'.
    He plays about half of the songs on there. You should hear what he does to The Trees and La Villa Strangiato - astonishing. How he gets up and down the neck so quick is beyond me. :confused:

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    His song NV43345 (sp) is the best demostration of his ability, IMHO.

8. The CD he did with Terry Bozzio was surprisingly good. Very dark.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

If you just want to hear him go nuts, pick up Talas double live cd or David Lee Roth's first record. Lots of tapping and acrobatic playing

Rob

10. sheehan_17

sheehan_17

Jun 3, 2005
    you have to check out one of my favourite records... david lee roth - eat em & smile. it's got sheehan, vai and bisonnette. :bassist:

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Best bass stuff for me is on the Steve Vai live dvd. "Blue Powder" is pretty much the all to end all.

12. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Doesn't Bisonnette play bass ?

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

His brother is a drummer. The B Brothers. LOL

Rob

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Niacin stuff is pretty good.

15. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    The cover of Free's "Mr Big" is pretty intense.

His unaccompanied live bass solos are all the same. Once you've heard one, you've heard them all. expection is NV43345, which I wonder why he didn't continue with unaccompanied studio bass solos.

I met him once. He gets into his Scientology a bit to much for my liking.

All in all, a true Genius in my book. Will go down in history as one of the great innovators of Bass guitar.

16. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    +1

17. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Yea awesome stuff ... if im not mistakin its just Sheehan in a mirror upside down, backwards, or something like that ... NV43345 is correct:)

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

HA, I never knew that... Sheehan is hella 1337!

19. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    You are correct, and 7718 (3A17) of the Live Speed On Ice = LIVE BILL :)

20. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    To hear some sweet grooves, go with any of the Niacin CD's.