Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Black Metal?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I guess this is "Does Black Metal suck II".... my answer is now NO. It's finally grown on me, I prefer it to death metal, that's for sure. Xasthur turned me on to the genre. THEN, I heard Emperor's "In the nightside eclipse."

IMO, this is THE BEST BLACK METAL I have ever heard. I think it's funny because Emperor's "Anthems..." was what made me question Black Metal's suckitude. But Nightside is so awesome.

I'm also diggin' on some Unlord, but I really like the vibe of "In the nightside eclipse." What is some more black metal like this?

2. would it be blasphemy if i said anything about dimmu

3. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    The only black metal I've listened to and liked would be Enslaved.. ..especially ISA (their newest album). Although, it's kind of prog metal, and not so much of that necro kvlt grimnessity. I guess they are classified as Viking Metal, but I don't really care. The guitar solo on Reogenesis (from ISA) that starts at 9:20 is one of my favourite ever guitar solo's. Damn, it's just amazing!

Ulver would be a decent band as well. Bergtatt is a pretty neat album, with some athmospheric and nice stuff.. ..the sound quality ruins it for me though. Which is the case with most black metal, really, and probably the reason that I don't like most of it. But what makes Ulver really interesting for me is the way they have developed from really harsh black metal, into electronic weirdo music on their later albums.

Oh.. Just realized that I'm not answering your question about black metal like "in the nightside eclipse".. ..but whatever. I'll just post this anyways.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

That was the last BM album I bought. Very good album.

Also get Dissection's first album. (I can't think of the name right now), but don't get anything else by them.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Some of my favorite black metal albums:

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
    Ulver - Bergtatt
    Taake - Nattestid...
    Aeternus - ...And so the Night Became
    Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
    Enslaved - Monumension (this one has a KILLER bass tone)
    Enslaved - Below the Lights
    Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
    Dissection - The Somberlain

Those are more stripped down compared to Nightside (an album I'm not a huge fan of to be honest), but have that same frigid vibe. Enslaved are INCREDIBLE, but yeah, definitely more prog-metal than black, at least the last several years.

6. I like PROTO-black metal....Celtic Frost, Venom....need to check out Bathory..

Generally, BM is such a childish, elitist genre for the most part....all these kvlt bands like Persekutor, who put out 500 copies of their album and then immediately demand the return of them so they can be destroyed- because they don't want black metal to be commercialized.

Church burning is lame too....any destruction of material property in the name of music is stupid.

And Varg Vikernes? Don't get me started.

But yeah, I like what I've heard of that Emperor album. I also hear Enslaved and Ulver have gotten hellza proggy, so I may investigate....

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Ulver have absolutely no relation to metal (or even rock really) anymore, but they are still awesome.

And yeah, elitism runs rampant throughout the scene. But hey, don't read the interviews and just enjoy the music. :D

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

To be honest, I think they are a great band. All of a sudden, they become popular and the genre turns their back on them. It's not tr00 kvlt unless less that 4 people know about them I guess. :rolleyes:

Exactly, frankly the dead guy makeup and the grim "the power of satan compells me" posing does nothing for me. I just like the huge atmosphere.

9. I really only dig Ulver

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Living Colour? :bag:

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It was only a matter of time. :rollno: :smug:

I'm rockin' out to Tulus - Pure Black Energy, not much in the lines of atmosphere, but pretty good. I downloaded the Top 8 albums recommended on that site that is linked to in the off topic black metal thread.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No you don't.

Trust me.

Under the sign of the black mark has some of the worst production I've ever heard, it sounds like someone banging on a lunchbox, a wall of distortion, and some guy screaching. And no, I don't think that's what all Black Metal sounds like :cool:

Seriously, the production makes Bathory unlistenable. But from the sounds of it, they really created what has become the modern BM sound.

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, yes and no. Dimmu's music has changed quite a bit throughout the years, calling their newer stuff black metal isn't a very apt description. But then again, black metal fans can be jerks to anything remotely popular. :D
    If you've only heard one Bathory album, you haven't heard Bathory. ;)

Hammerheart is an AMAZING album, and is damn near required listening for any serious metal fan. That's when Quorthon started doing the whole "viking music" schtick as opposed to earlier/crazier/thrashier stuff.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, the one I have is awful. I'll see what's up with Hammerheart.

Question: What genre is Dimmu now?

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Extreme Keyboard?

16. i am actually listening to dimmu borger as i type this. i love them, their old stuff rocks. other good black metal (im not sure if they are really considered black metal) is a band called amon amarith, they might be more known as viking metal. good stuff

lowsound

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, personally I really dislike their modern stuff so what I would call them is something not very nice. :D

I do like Enthrone Darkness Triumphant though, it's pretty straight forward melodic death to my ears, not really black at all.

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    My favourite black metal album is Darktrhone's Soulside Ecplipse. Venom's album Black Metal is also one of my favourites, although it may not be "true" black metal.

19. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Satyricon is pretty good. I love "Volcano." Awesome album. Excellent production compared some of their older stuff.

I also really like Dimmu Borgir, especially the newer stuff like Puritanical.. and Death Cult...Those albums are METAL! despite whatever elitists might say. The older stuff is great too. Much darker/gothic syle BM.

Mayhem's "Chimera" is pure insanity.

Arcturus "The Sham Mirrors" is fantastic. Very progressive.

If you like that You'd probably enjoy Borknagar's "Epic."

Agalloch "The Mantle" is really cool atmosperic music with a black metal/folk feel to it.

Thats all I can think off right now.

20. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    How could I forget Arcturus?:scowl:

Great band, I absolutley love "La Masquerade Infernale".