Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Blues Combo Amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChicoMarx, Aug 10, 2005.

1. I use a Hartke 5000 head with stacked 410 and 115 cabs. Too big, too heavy for a lot of smaller gigs. What's the best combo amp to play "The Blues" in smaller bars and clubs? Do two 10"s give you the highs but not enough bottom end or is one 15" better at the lows but you miss the highs? How much power would be useful? I have a Fender BXR 60W 112 and it sucks...no highs, no lows. Maybe I should take the Hartke head and only one of the cabs? Any recommendations for a blues bassist? :meh:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Try only the 1-15 cab. Blues bassists usually have a pretty traditional sound, which means passive basses (usually a P) and 15 inch speakers.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden DC210XLT info here:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/combos/indiv/metro.asp'
    SWR Super Redhead:
    http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4420100000

I've used and liked both, lots. No problem with getting enough low end out of two properly tuned and powered 10's...
    I believe there's one of each in the classifeds section here.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Ampeg B100R-- classic tone, classic look. They go pretty cheap used.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
  6. [​IMG]

Oh, you said blues... with an "s"

duh dum chh :meh:

You might still want to check it out...

7. well it seems as though you would have tried the 1x15 and the 5000 together.. and if you're trying to find something smaller and easier to move... it doesn't make sense to buy a heavy combo. Aguilar makes a real nice 1x12 combo. Euphonic Audio makes a nice small tight 1x10 combo as well.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Keep the head and go with a more modular cab setup. A pair of S-15D's or 1 15D and 1 15D-X would be a nice combination for you. The BE cab's have a nice warmth to them that works well in a blues / rock setting. Very solid sounding and not a bit muddy. Really nice 'anchoring' kind of tone.

Take 1 for small rooms, the pair for large rooms. get them up off the floor on a stand will 1 help them stay clean and 2 get them closer to your ear.

9. I don't know what the best blues combo is, but I play in a blues band with a GK1001RB-II + Aguilar GS212/GS112 + Lakland 55-02 and it souds killer! Keep the 12s in mind in your search!

10. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I use a Walkabout Scout 15"...

Great for bluesing it up.

[​IMG]

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I second the nomination for the Ampeg B100R! It's like a very warm-sounding solid state version of the wonderful, classic, immortal, fabulous, marvelous B115N. You can't go wrong.

12. Yuk, those amps are horrible, sorry, i hate those ones!

Id recon an Ampeg would be good, 15"'s would sound better for blues than 10's

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    +1

14. When I need more than my silverface Bassman 50 can dish out, I use an Ampeg B248 200W 4 X 8" combo and I love it, too bad they don't make it any more. If I were you, before I shelled out any cash on a combo, I'd try your head and the 1 X 15" cabinet and see how you like it. If it isn't to your liking, check out the Ampeg B100R as others have suggested.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    60's Ampeg B-15 Fliptop!
    :bassist:

16. +1 !!! I was looking around and didn't realize that it's been reissued! (For quite a while, I guess...) Haven't thought about that one for a while. I played through an original Fliptop while the big band I was playing in at the time played in a little jazz club. The owner had one on stage and let me use it so I didn't have to pack in my gear every week. Awsome sound! I've read some reviews on the reissue, though, and it's not good news if you're looking for the old sound.
    http://www.vintageguitar.com/bulletin_boards/details.asp?forumID=22&topicID=8314

Have to find an "original"! :hyper:

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    good luck that is on my long list as well...

A studio that I used to record in had one that was switchable between 60 and 100 watt (iirc)... sweetest tone ever. Gotta find an original too...

Race you to it! :D

18. GO!

19. Like the others said. What your inner Blues Bassist is looking for is an Ampeg B100R. THE look AND THE sound!

20. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the Ampeg B-100R. I've got one and like it alot and I'm a Bluesman to the Bone! If you've got the bucks go for an Ampeg B-15R and add the B-15E if you need a little more volume.