Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Body Material

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What do you all think about all the confusing different types of woods and other stuff out there today? I know what's good, but I want to know what's the best. If you vote other on the poll then please state what other material you chose. Another thing to note: Different materials are going to be better than others for different purposes. So keep that in mind and just vote for your personal favorite.

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Just reply then with your favorite material.

3. Alder.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Difficult question because, as you say Mud, "different for different purposes."

Plus, I'm a firm believer in wood combos. And a fine luthier can do amazing things with a simple wood and/or they have a lock on a supplier with outstanding wood.

But if I had to pick one, it would be cocobolo. As the Alembic site says, "There is always the crown jewel of bass tone woods, Coco Bolo,"

I've never heard anything like my cocobolo-topped bass. It just seems like the specie was created for bass to me.

Buth there are many species I've never experienced either.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like the really dense african hardwoods. give me a body of solid bubinga or afzelia and i am a happy boy. i also REALLY like the ovangkol on my thumb - it doesn't look like most ovangkol, instead it's like a really dark zebrano.

6. bubinga gives some sweeeet sounds.
    and walnut. nice an' warm.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Swamp Ash or Alder

8. BLMARTIN

BLMARTIN

Jan 31, 2003
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Bubinga on Swamp Ash

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Spruce top, maple ribs and back.

10. I second that. And that's alder is to say. :p

Mike

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Don't reply to this one anymore. I have a new thread set up with a pole.

12. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Dont know much about the other materials but I think luthite is kule. It is crazy light and is very strong. It's very easy to shape is damn near impossible to dent.

Light + Hard to dent = My awesome bass

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As far as a body core, I believe Honduran Mahogany is quite good. Alder is another good one, especially for a vintage jazz tone. Lastly, Tulipwood is anohter great choice. Great tone and light weight.