1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best boost pedal for melodic playing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nickm2375, May 3, 2018.

1. nickm2375

nickm2375

Oct 31, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Interested to hear what you guys would recommend here. I like to have a pretty deep sound most of the time, but I occasionally have a few passages where I need to play some melodic stuff higher up on the neck. I've been playing around with a few boosts to help me jump out in the mix, but the problem is it brings up my entire signal and the low end just overpowers the sound and obscures everything I'm playing (not to mention destroys the entire band mix).

I'm looking for a boost that's going to allow me to cleanly bring the level up while filtering out some of the low end, but not give me that think-clicky sound. I still want it to sound like a bass. Anybody ever deal with this problem?

I play a EB Stingray into a Markbass 121p (occasionally with an 12 inch extension cab). I usually hit an MXR bass compressor on a low setting before I get to the amp.

Thanks for the help.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Have you tried a simple EQ pedal, dialling in a slight volume/mid boost and bass cut for example?

I bet you could magic up something from the Spectracomp to suit, but it would take a lot of fiddling. It has a lot of power under the hood, e.g. split the sound into two bands, apply a limiter to the low band, boost/compress the upper portion, add EQ, assign the control knob to an overall output level or whatever you might want... Depends how well you understand compressors and how comfortable you are messing around with preset editor apps!

eriky4003, baTassi and G-Z like this.
  3. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    You beat me to it. Sounds like an EQ pedal job. GEB-7 are fairly inexpensive and fit for task.

baTassi likes this.
  4. I would try and EQ as first option. If not, a Compressor or even a Pre-amp (that might be an overkill)

5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    As others have said, EQ is a good solution, a Broughton HPF might work too.

Also a drive pedal like a Tube Screamer that cleans up enough to boost will work.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Spark Booster. It's a booster, EQ pedal, overdrive, and has various voicing options available.

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    +1 ^^^

Or a 3Leaf LBB or Xotic RC Booster.