Best Bootsy Collins CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RS, Mar 20, 2002.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone know what is the best Bootsy solo cd or Bootsy oriented project? In your opinion, of course.
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This is kind of off-topic, but I've been catcing a video on VH1 latley by a group called "Deee-lite" that features Bootsy on bass. The song is called "Groove is in the heart". A pretty catchy dance oriented number if I do say so myself. The song is like 10 years old though. Wonder what made them start playing it all of a sudden?
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    'Solo' discs?
    Stretchin' Out In Bootsy's Rubber Band
    Ahh...The Name Is Boosty, Baby!

Back In The Day: The Best Of Bootsy is "OK" as far as "Best Of" cds go(personally, I'm not that into compilations; this one ain't too bad).

Then there's the Fred Wesley discs-
    A Blow For Me, A Toot For You
    Say Blow By Blow Backwards

...also, the James Brown era with Bootsy-
    Funk Power-Another "Best Of" disc that's "OK". ;)
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

The same reason there's all those movie remakes; there's not a whole lotta 'originality' goin' on in the world of Pop(culture). Better to play it safe, better to use something that's tried & true, blahblah.

A few of us were yapping with Robin Eubanks(the great trombonist) over @
    Someone asked, "Who are you listening to in the current scene"?
    Basically, he said, most of what he's hearing today is a rehash of the past...he's sticking to the 'originals'.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Rhino put out a pretty cool double disc anthology of Bootsy stuff last year......stock full of funk!
  6. are you sure?
    Bootsy's in the video, and that's him saying "watch out!" etc., but the actual bass on the record sounds like a sample- also it sounds like the bass is played with a pick.
    I'm pretty sure the bass and guitar is sampled off an old soul record- it's listed on the net somewhere.

I did see a live performance of "Groove is in the heart", and they did have Bootsy on bass- but with a totally different sound- all the Mutrons, phaser/flange etc. he's famous for.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What do you think of those Wesley discs?
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was actually playing so I research it and it just basically said that Bootsy contribututed to the song. It really never said what he exactly contributed. It was still pretty cool to see him though. I knew it was him because of the sunglasses. ;) :D
  9. BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I love the JB's anthology. A double disc set. To me that is the best. Some of the Bootsy stuff is way out, the best is ok.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jim.....I don't think I have a Wesley or Maceo album I don't like:)
  11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I was listening to the local NPR jazz show a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to hear the original song that the "Groove Is In the Heart" bass line came from. It is a Herbie Hancock song that is on the "Blue Break Beats" compilation from Blue Note. Didn't catch the name of the song though.

One of my bands plays that song and it never fails to get people up and dancing.
  12. You have to ask?? ZILLATRON!!!! "Lord of the Harvest"; his Laswell hilarious. Some of the heaviest, spacey, most funked out and demented Bootzilla of my five "desert island" picks for sure!

13. One of my fav alltime Bootsy shows was with Jerome Brailey on drums "Kash", Fred, Bernie and Blackbird doing a full set after which the three Deelite members came on stage for another full set of their material.....Bootsy's Rubber band providing the backline. Words fail.
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this should be in recordings because its asking about a cd
  15. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The song's called 'Bring Down The Birds'.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I heard that recently - the original, that is - of course it always sounded like a sample - the way they stopped and started it, but I never knew what it was before.

I think a lot of people are going back to the "originals" now - there are whole compilation albums where the originals are included of "famously-sampled" beats/tracks! :D