Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Boss Digital Delay DD-?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big Green, Jul 21, 2005.

1. I decided that I can no longer share my DOD FX90 between my bass and my drum machine (SR-16). At first I figured that I would just get another analog delay for the drum machine but thought it over and decided for versatilities sake to try out a digital delay, Mostly because of the tap tempo feature (I am using my hands for bass after all).
    I'm sort of caught between the DD-5 and DD-6. Anyone have any opinions of these or previous models? A better solution maybe? :)

Here's a pic of the brick

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just jump up to the DD6. It's only like $10 more?

I use a DigiDelay.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Try the Line 6 Echo Park it's one of the best pedal based delays I have tried.

Also I really really liked the Boss DD-20 all other Boss Delays kinda suck for me.

Hope this helps

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have an old Boss DD-3. I always thought it was adequate for my own needs (I don't want or need a very long delay time). Apparently the older DD-3's made before a certain year (don't know when) is in favor with a lot of guitarists because it supposedly has a warmer, more old-school kind of sound to it (apparently it has more analog circuitry in it than newer Boss delays.) I don't know if I have a "special" one or not, but it sounds fine to me regardless.

5. Thanks, after reading reviews on Harmony central I think I'm going to steer clear of the Boss delays. Infact I think I'll just buy a second DOD FX90 analog as it just has a milky smooth analog feel. Or possibly the FX96 with the extra 'tape quality' control I'm interested in the Echo park, but I really dislike Line-6. I think instead of a tap tempo I will get my buddy (4th year electrical engineer) to wire me up an expression pedal for the DODs' Rate dial. he said it wouldn't be hard. I love the pitch shifting this unit does when the rate is tweaked and the analog Bucket Brigade chip in there really warms up the digital samples in my old Alesis SR-16.

I am still a bit curious though about line 6 delays.

A. Do they pitch shift the signal when the rate knob is turned?

B. Can they self oscilate?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Don't things pitch shift when the time knob is turned normally?

Yes it will Self Occilate or at least I think it can, I've done infinite loops of feedback with it before so, its quite good at the wierd and wacky

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    yes and yes... i went with an Echo Park after trying those Boss units as well as a few others (Digitech, DL4, various real analog delays, etc.). I pretty much despise Line6 (LineSux), but that little pedal is a keeper. Plus its heavy enough to bludgeon the soundman with :D

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Why did you get the Echo Park over the DL4? I was debating over the Echo Park vs. the DL4 and it seems to be DL4 for me because it has loopage. I would like to hear your reasons why you got the Echo Park though-- pursuade me from spending another $100. :meh:

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Boss DD-20. Does a lot of things really well (and some semi-useless but cool-sounding other things). Severely underrated, IMO.

10. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Honestly? I'd love to say it was the sound, but it's not... i bought it cause it was less expensive and took up less pedalboard real estate. Having said that, i found the sounds to be on par with the DL4, and i wasn't interested in the looping anyway. Aside from those reasons, i'd probably take the Boss DD-20 over the LineSux DL4 also.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I got the echo park over the dl-4 due to space, cost and me at the time planning on getting a rc20xl which would have more or less given me more options.

But now I use a Dan-echo (great pedal), echo park and a maneco nanolooper.

I seriously considered the dd-20 until I found a maneco looper

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    +1. I love mine.

I mainly keep it set on the tape or analog emulations. It does exactly what I need it to.

13. Well, I went and rented the Danelectro Reel Echo. Hooked it up to the drum machine and let er rip. It is definately a quiet pedal and works well with my sr-16, as planned. Then, of course, I ran my bass threw it.. Wow. This thing sounds great for my style of bass playing and the filter switch for tube/ss is great for adding a fat compressed low end to the signal. I also like the lo-fi adjustment wich is a workable filter. Also the LED for the tempo is a nice feature and works well with the rate slider. This thing is built like a brick sh!thouse too. The only disapointment is that it doesn't pitch shift with the rate slider :meh:
    Even though it doesnt have the same versatlity of the echo park it seems to fit my needs well. Looks like the DOD will be making its way off my pedal board and onto the drum table to make room for the Reel Echo. For the price I recommend it, :p also I dont see any of Daneletros' metal case pedals on their website anymore,could they be discontinued?

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If I'm not mistaken, turning the TIME knob is the way to make a delay pedal pitch shift. Also, I can't comment on the whereabouts of the metal Dano pedals, but I can say thank you for your review of the Reel Echo. If it's as good as you say, I may have to find another spot on my pedalboard. :)

By the way, I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Boss DD-5. They can be had for under $100.00 USD on the used market and, IMO, sound great. I am, however, considering sending mine to Analogman for their Kill Switch and Hi-Cut mods. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it back. Good luck.

15. Time / rate same thing. this pedal actually calls it "speed range" and on my DOD it's just Delay. Whatever you wanna call it it doesnt pitch shift on this unit unfortunatley. It's not that big of a deal to me though, I still have the DOD for wicked shifting should I need it. I am an analog snob by rule but It really is a great pedal IMO and very versatile.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well I just bought a DD-20 so I now have a maneco nano-looper, dan-echo, line 6 echo park and the dd-20, so can';t wait to see what spacey noises I create with all of that.

17. Okay so after a day of tweaking this thing 9all I heard were repeats in my dreams) I am really starting to appreciate this unit. Think of it as a digital delay with alot of ambience control. the warble setting adds some natural sounding tape warble/chorusing. The lo-fi knob adjusts the low pass filter for the repeats so like an actual tape delay you can have really muddy repeats or like digital precise repeats and everything inbetween. I find with everything set up clean it is an extremely accurate digital delay and with everything tweaked the other way it is very ambient, though not as lo-fi as my old DOD unit, unless of course your using batteries in it for more than a few hours, the light stays bright but it gets digital crunchies.

It does a very nice slapback echo that when i run the drum machine threw can get a cool effect on the kick drum that transforms it into the sound of somone blowing across the top of a beer bottle or almost like an open bass string. and as I adgust the repeats it sort of tunes it a bit, really weird. I will probably however use the rental unit for the next month while i search for one on ebay were i think i can get it for quite a bit less, and yes from what I've seen on the net both the "spring king" and the "reel echo" have been discontinued.