1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Boston Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DirtPoorRobins, Sep 27, 2008.

1. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    I'm looking to take lessons from a pro in the boston area. Go ahead and contribute to a list of the best known bassists in boston whether in the band circuit, broadway circuit, sideman, ect. Thanks

2. About a million years ago I took some lessons from Dave Buda. I think he's teaching at Berklee now, might be taking private students. Fantastic musician.

3. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
  4. +1 for Dave Buda if he teaches private lessons- he's a monster player and teacher

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    If he's still in Boston.
    Lenny Stubblefield

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Not to overstate the obvious, but you want to find the "best bass teacher" and *not* the "best bassist who teaches" if you get my drift.

Dave Buda is definitely a good bassist; I have no idea what kind of a teacher he is. Bruce Gertz is a phenomenal bassist, and he's certainly been teaching a long time...but I was underwhelmed with his teaching ability when I studied with him in 1981. Is Tim Archibald still in Boston? He's a great player, and I think he's a reasonably open, enthusiastic teacher based on the few times I jammed with him.

Whit Brown is a great teacher, I think he's still at Berklee. He's got a bit of a Jazz Snob/Anti-Electric attitude, but if you can get past that he's got a lot of info to share.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I used to take lessons from Bruce Gertz, what a fantastic musician and bassist, highly recommended.

Buda and Vitti are great educators as well.

8. I think Dino Monoxelos is still in the Boston area and still teaching. Lovely guy and a very good teacher. You can contact him through his website, http://www.monotunesmusic.com.