?? Best brand of preamp tubes for Ampeg ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WarPig, Dec 12, 2005.

1. What, in your opinion, is the best brand of replacement tubes for an Ampeg SVP Pro preamp......or any preamp for that matter?

My local guitar shop owes me a "good deal" due to circumstances :rolleyes: ......I'm going to ask for a special (at cost) price for some new tubes for my Ampeg preamp. :hyper:

Problem is I dont know squatt about good tubes vs bad tubes. :confused: I've been told my stock tubes are miss matched, some okay, some cheapo duds.

The rig holds 4 x 12AX7 and 1 x 12AU7. What's the best brand name(s) of tubes to buy, and what do they cost - average retail cost US/Can dollars? so I know what would be a "good deal" price.

Helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.......thanks
    David :cool:
  2. There isnt a huge difference in tubes, the most important thing is probably reliablility of the tubes, i would suggest looking at JJ/Telsa's, i think they are probably one of the best tube makers currently making tubes,

www.eurotubes.com has prices
  3. MartinP

Jul 25, 2005
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Obviously I don't know what's available through your local shop, but here's a valuable reading abt. preamp tubes: http://www.tube-town.de/info/doc/tt-report-preamp-tubes-engl.pdf
    I'd particularly point out the so-called V1 tube (the input stage in a tube preamp). In my SVT3-Pro swapping a stock (Groove Tubes) one against an EH12AX7-V1 (suffix -V1 means it's been tested and chosen for this application) made the biggest difference (sure, I swapped all preamp tubes, but the V1 was the only one which I could actually hear making my amp sound better ;) )