1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best (bright) nickel strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ElBarto, May 28, 2018.

1. ElBarto

ElBarto

Nov 7, 2017
    Italy
    I have a Flea jazz bass and I use the EB Hybrid Slinky 45-105
    I really like the tone and feeling of this strings but they die quickly (one month)
    I know the Elixir have long life but they are "agressive" like the slinky?
    any suggestions?

2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Earth
    Stainless steel strings last longer and have lots of brightness. Try GHS Super Steels.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Enjoying my nickel D’Addarios on my P-Bass. I’d certainly characterize their tone as aggressive on that bass. They really aren’t “bright.” I’ve had them on few a couple months and still sounding great.

Just got in a new band and the first gig is about a month away. Seems like it’ll be due about then. Pretty good life out of them, I think.

Stainless strings are cool and all but these are very different.

ElBarto likes this.
  4. ElBarto

ElBarto

Nov 7, 2017
    Italy
    Some opinions on Slinky Cobalt?

5. No experience with the strings you mention but you could give D'Addario NYXL strings a shot. They are nickel plated, quite bright sounding and long lasting.

ElBarto likes this.
  6. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    D'addario xl's

7. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    great strings, last well, worth the extra money, great clarity, little trebley and middley but not massively.n great for rock and slap tones. perfect fit for a Jazz bass.
    elixars are great stings and last ages and ages, but they are more a warmer tone. great on a P bass great on a jazz but if you have the Flea bass i would go for the cobalt ore the GHS flea strings.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Elixir Steels maybe?

Still brighter than regular nickels, but not as bright and clanky as normal steels. But they still feel like Elixirs and last a good while.

9. "GHS Flea strings" are the Boomers, which are NOT the brightest nickels around.