1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Budget 100W Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomska, Oct 25, 2006.

1. tomska

tomska

Oct 25, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm just starting out and I've no idea how to decide which basic combo is best for me. Ashdown, Roland, Hartke & others all do reasonable-looking 100W combos at under £300 (GBP). The Roland looks pretty solid. Fender do one too, but I'm wary of gimmicks like the red light.

I'd like some guidance on choosing the right one. It'll be for practice only, and once I'm up to speed I'll be playing reggae, dub and old funk basslines, so fatness is important.

Thanks.

2. I think you would be better getting an amp and cab setup to be honest.

There are a few good cabs you can get second hand for under £100, and you can pickup an alright amp head for not too much (second hand)

Example - Peavey SessionBass (200 watt at 4ohms), these tend to go for about £100ish, that into a Peavey 210TX cabinet, which go for between £50 and £100 (one finished the other day for £51), so you'd have a 200 watt 2x10 setup for probably under £200.

You can always go with a bigger cab or a more powerful amplifier too, definatly watch the second hand market :)

However, if you want something that would be just for bedroom practice, i recently got my gf an Ashdown After Eight combo, 15 watts and an 8inch speaker, its definatly loud enough for bedroom practice, and they are only about £60ish new.

3. iv als ohad good experience with this one
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_sweet_152.htm

but if it is just for bdroom practic a nice lil 15watt will b enough to make the mother/wife (depending on old you are) scream at you to turn it down :)

4. tomska

tomska

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I was thinking 100W because I want to be able to jam with it aswell as practice once I'm able. I played the bass a bit when I was a kid (about 15 yearts ago) and have decided to take it up again. My old Carlsboro 100W amp is utterly shagged, but my (ridiculously rock) Kramer Stagemaster bass is still in top form. I'm a bit wary of getting a separate cab and head (although I understand the pros) because I just want something I can sling in the car etc.

Both the Warwick and Ashdown recommended above look great. In the case of the Ashdown, 300 watts is certainly more than I need, but it's not imperative to turn it up to 11...

Anyway, any more advice welcome - I'm learning all the time.

Thanks again.

5. headroom is always good :) id much rathr be playing at 4 and having the option of turning to "11" ;) than playing at 10 and having a big of clipping because your guitarist bought a new stack lol

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Surprise, AZ
  7. bubblysax

bubblysax -----cut here-----

Aug 2, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    I have just had to make a similar decision to the one that you are having to make. In the end I went for a second hand Roland DB-500 in excellent condition for £200..

Reasons: Huge array of sounds (I wanted to try different sounds to that which I was already producing), relatively compact (I live in a bungalow), able to cut it in small venue gigs (160w plenty enough for me), quality & value for money.

I am extremely pleased with my my purchase decision, and I know there is one going on Ebay at the moment which only has one bid in for £99. I would have bid for this one but it is too far away from me.

good luck with whatever you decide on!

8. have a look at the laney RB4 (160w), Ashdown BB 115-180 both very nice amps. though i am looking at going the second hand route to get something a little bigger just for that safety zone, you could also look at the ashdown mag 210 300, which you can find online for around £300 new and thats 300w and you can add a second cab later.

9. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Ampeg B100R!! Fat old school tone, and it will cut rehearsals and small gigs. Good price too.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I really wish people would read posts before replying. Ampeg B-100 huh? For £300? Maybe used, if youre very lucky.

Persoanlly, I really like the Ashdown MAG, and the practice comboc (After eight etc) arent half bad. Laney gets the nod from me too if youre definately buying new.

All IMO.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Here are my ideas for a budget combo they are slightly over the $300.00 (I don't have a British pound key) but offer quite a bit for the money.

Ampeg BA115 $349.00(U.S.) new. Tweeter a little "hissy" but sounds good and has a balanced D.I. out.

Ampeg BA112 $299.00(U.S.). Same as BA115 but with 50 watts and and a 12" speaker.

Ibanez SW100 $349.00(U.S.) new. Sounds good (more sterile than the Ampeg but decent) Lots of inputs, effects loop, ground lift, on/off switch for the tweeter, balanced D.I. out, and it can run an extention cab.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    This is true...Laney & Ashdown can be had for much less on your side of the pond. I have very little experience with Ashdown combos and no experience with Laney bass combos.

Ashdown Electric Blue 180's are pretty inexpensive amps over here. I think they sell for under $300.00(U.S.)

13. BigSky Bass Guy

BigSky Bass Guy

Apr 15, 2005
    I just purchased a used Fender Bassman 150 tilt-back combo on Ebay for about $150US. It wouldn't be loud enough for gigging, but with our band, we're in a "Let's get quieter" mode, so we're all plugging into the mixing board, and controlling our Room volume that way. So having this little 38 pound Fender in front of me and the drummer is the perfect solution -- quieter stage volume, but as loud in the FOH speakers as is needed.

14. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I used to use my Hartke Kickback 12 to play in a blues band alongside a guitarist that had a Marshall JCM900 cranked to oblivion and a very heavy-handed drummer. We ended up playing a diversity show at a indie venue where we opened up for a progressive metal band, and the bassist in the band ran me down after our set to ask me "how the F did that little amp keep up with that marshall???" It's a dang good amp in my opinion. I've had it for about 7-1/2 years now and it's still kickin' out the jams, no major service, no blown speaker, it's a trooper.

15. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I don't know what they sell for in Merry Old England JACK, so keep your comments to yourself.

16. tomska

tomska

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks for all your replies. I've found the Ashdown MAG-c115-300 for £280 online, and that looks absolutely favourite.

Would love to get an Ampeg, but they're very expensive in the UK.

Cheers.

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Easy tiger. I didnt mean to come across nasty. That did sound a little harsh when I re-read it. Sorry man. :)