Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Budget Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jun 7, 2002.

1. I was just wondering what brand amp you people think is good for someone with a limited budget? If 4x the wattage of the guitar is true, then I need about 320 watts. I'd love an Ampeg or Mesa Boogie amp but those are waayy out of my price range. I have seen some decently priced Peavey, Hartke, and Yorkville stuff though. Also, is it worth it to buy a used amp and risk having no warranty, or maybe checking with the store manager to see if you can perhaps buy one of their loaner amps?

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Depends on what your price range is. A "budget" amp with over 300 watts will probably run you at least $400 in any case. Try finding a used SVT-3 pro, SWR bass 350 or SM-400, you may be able to get one for $400-500.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I recommend the Hartke HA3500, very good sounding and reliable amps. I've seen them on Ebay and they run for a pretty good price.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    used equiptment is the best deal if you check it out first. make sure its in good condition, make sure it was treated well, etc.

if you dont find or want to buy used.. the hartke HA3500 sounds like a decent amp to me ( local bands using them.. also the carvin r600? sounded good.. or at least the bassist using it got a nice sound out of it.. )

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used is the way to go. Even better is to buy brands that are good but not well known.

Is that A.M.P. BH420 for $300 still floating around? Or that 600 watt Dunacn head. That's the sort of deal you need to find.

6. Yeah I'm thinking I might have to go used, but $400-$500 sounds very realistic to me, of course I live in Canada so with the exchange that's about...carry the 1....times 37....hmmm...well maybe if I sell everything I own :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I bought a Carvin RC21018 stack for $700, and a Carvin Cyclops for $450... the deals are out there.

Look in your newspaper first. Ebay isn't too great. Shipping will negate much of your savings.

You might buy your cabs from Avatar Speakers. Some of our users are really likeing them and they are inexpensive.