1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best budget bass for metal/heavy music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Just curious as to everyone's opinion - budget bass for less than 500 bucks that gives the most for the money, geared towards "metal" style of music.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Any that you like the feel, sound and looks of... seriously.

Search here for any of the at least 2-5 weekly posts asking this same question with the same answers.

3. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I have looked ;) I saw one thread about a 14 year old kid who has 1000 bucks to blow (that's not a budget bass) and another person asking about a bass for a church band - obviously not for death/heavy metal.

Let's not get snarky. I was just asking for opinions.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
  5. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I'm just asking other people's opinions and experiences :|

I don't get why you're so snarky about it. If you don't want to answer the post's question and give your opinion...don't?

:rollno:

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    love these kind of thread :D...c'mon its Saturday !

7. bgressman82

bgressman82

Mar 5, 2009
    honestly, my experience with the usual budget basses has always been bad. ibanez 5 string, crappy battery box had to be fixed 2 times, esp 4 string wouldn't hold a set up for more than a month. your best bet for metal/heavy rock would be a g&l tribute. kind of uncommon, but you can get them used for real cheap, and what's more metal than black and maple?

8. Something in my mind said Yamaha RBX374 having owned one and acknowledged it's meaty tone, but really all you can do is try every bass you can get your hands on and pick what you like.

Maybe those new "Sterling by musicman" Stingrays?

9. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    He's snarky because these come up every other day. They're always exactly the same. Someone will come along soon with a list of threads with this exact question. The reason nobody discusses anything in them is that everything there is to say has already been said.

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    $250 MIM Precision bass with an OBP. String it BEAD if needed. Your results may vary.

11. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    $500 for metal? Honestly, I'd get a made in mexico jazz. it'll get you on the right track and there's so many mods you can do that it's kinda like a blank canvas.... not saying you HAVE TO mod it - just that there's a zillion options if you decide you wanna tweak this or that.

the name of the Jazz bass can be deceiving ;) it's a great bass for many situations.

also - a used Music Man SUB would work pretty well too. those things sounds pretty amazing and are a great value.

im not an Ibanez fan but those seem to get some love in metal circles

12. Get a Spector Legend and call it a day. You can find them for under the $529 retail price if you look, and used they usually go in the $350 range. The EMG pickups will really cut through.

13. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Ibanez ATK?

14. It's all personal preference - I like Ibby SR's for the slim/narrow necks, and wide range of tones

15. +1 on both parts of that post

16. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    For metal playing I've always loved the SRX series from Ibanez. They have more powerful electronics than their regular soundgear brethren that emphasizes that metal sound. Not to mention that even their cheaper versions are awesome instruments for the money. Ibanez designed these basses more for the metal crowd while their regular soundgears are designed more towards general use. I have an SRX 390 and love it to death. ATKs are also great choices but cost more in general. Here's an example of one on GC's website to give you an idea;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SRX550-Electric-Bass-Guitar-511894-i1425384.gc

Go to a music store and try out all the basses you can in your price range amplified to see which once gives you "your metal" sound. While companies can produce what they generally think is the "metal oriented" sound, it is oftentimes subjective to each person to determine what that metal sound is to them.

Good luck and rock on!:bassist:
    -Chris

17. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    This was more for conversation than "I need help getting a bass" ;) I've already got mine. I really should have put this up as a poll - I really just wanted to see what other people's experiences have been with budget metal basses :) good or bad

18. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I apologize for my fellow low end brothers....they tend to forget we all started out green as well

that said we do get a lot of these threads at least once or twice a week...lol

My .02

mybabiesinternet.

Traben Array Obsession can be had for new for right around $500.00 in a 4 string model about $350.00 to $375.00 used....people here dog them based on their looks, but honestly i have owned basses that cost three times as much that did not sound or play as well as these not to mention exotic woods, 3 band pre-amp, solid body construction...they do active and passive both and can do everything from a P bass thump to a treble induced coma.....

ESP makes quite a few nice basses geared towards the metal sound for Under $500.00 (I own two) but they tend to only do modern tones...
    ESPfront2.

Peavey and Ibanez make some really nice basses for under $500.00 as well that will fit the bill
    axedroppedonme.

the most important thing is to find a bass that you like, that feels and sounds good to you....not us...

honestly just about any bass can/could be used for metal music...but in my expereince you want something that is high mid and treble heavy so you can cut through....

but again the best advice i can give is play everything in your price range and pick the bass that speaks to you the most, it will be yours afterall....

play what you like and like what you play...

19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Pretty much anything can be made to work for metal, except for probably a semi-hollow body like Gretsch/ Epi Jack Cassidy/Hofner.

My band plays metal-ish originals and I can switch between basses and find a serviceable "metal" tone from all of them. I tend to think my EMG-equipped ESP and my Seymour Duncan equipped Clement custom handle it best but my Schecter Riot, Carvin LB-75, Peavey T-40 and SX SPJ-62 can all hold their own.

20. Adamnchains

Adamnchains

Mar 17, 2009
    Saint Louis
    i picked up a used warwick corvette $$ for under $800 and love it. i play in a hard rock/metal band. its beast.