Best budget bass? Just a little project..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kas_lar, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Hey everybody...

I was reading this very cool thread, and my advice is that you try to read a few minutes of it:

I'm thinking of getting a real inexpensive bass, to keep my GAS under a certain level. I've almost sold a expensive bass - A Celinder J-update 5, A wonderful bass, but I couldn't bear the though of using such a dollar-filled bass, so now I'm back to the 2 ,middle -budget workhorses: A 76' fender jazz and a 96' stingray5. I play mostly cover - funk, soul, rock, and jazz...
    But there are some real gear horny people out there, and sadly, some of them are friends of mine. I want to get a really cheap bass, but I just wanted to hear some of your ideas...

I've played the Yamaha BB 616 and 416(active and passive electronics) which were very nice.
    I've also hear that some of the old Squier bass(never tried it) from Japan are cool, but hard to find...

Whadda ya say?
    (Of cause I've been searching the site, but new news are better than old. Regarding the max price... yeah, that's a little difficult cuz I've live and Europe and got another currency. But let’s just say max 300£ --> 350 dollars
  2. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Hey thanks...
    I'll check 'em out, but I should have written that I'm more into used gear......
  3. What's wrong with a new bass that - including the upgrades - stays within your budget?
    (in my example, less than 300 euros)
  4. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    There's nothing wrong with a new bass. I just like a good old used bass. I'm gonna take a peek a the review of the SX bass, but it's just a matter of taste...
  5. dominic

Aug 7, 2005
    i'd recomend a peavey millenium, they're dirt cheap, i think you can pick them up online for about 150 pounds. light weight and comparable in terms of playability and sound to a mexican jazz.
  6. How about a Japanese Fender knock off from the 70's/80's such as Aspen or Electra? You can spot those occasionally in the local classifieds, Craigslist or ebay for really low dough. The thought of modding one of those has been pretty appealing to me lately. For around the price of a Japanese Squier, you might want to consider a Tokai or even a vintage Ibanez.