1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Budget Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Mar 27, 2006.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    What's the best fretless out there for the money? I'm talkin' like $300 and less. Can anything decent be had for that much money? I really want to start playing fretless and just don't have the funds to do it properly :ninja:

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Go to www.rondomusic.net and take a look around. :) I've got the fretless 5 string Jazz. Doesn't compare to my Ray5, but for the price-it's a great bass.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

My suggestion is to save up some more cash and buy something a little better than can be had in that range. A used carvin fretless can be easily had for $500 on ebay, and the construction/playability of carvins can't be beat for that price IMHO.

4. You can often find used MIJ and MIM fretless Fender Jazz Basses for $350 or so. Another option would be the Washburn Taurus fretless; that would be in your price range.

5. flyman

flyman Whoa!!

Aug 2, 2005
    cincinnati, ohio
    There's a Dean fretless on eBay right now that has a Buy It Now of $319 dollars. I've played these before & they're pretty decent, especially for that price.

flyman

6. +1,000,000!

Can't go wrong for that price. Gotta save more $$$ if you'd like a name brand fretless used.

7. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    You can pick up a MiM Fender Jazz off eBay for ~$250. New set of pups, an you're golden. Not even that, if you're just experimenting.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean is a great choice in that prince range. Based on my Team neck from Rondo I'd avoid the SX basses at ROndo for a fretless. The Brices are very nice though!

9. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I have to say that the fretless SX is pretty acceptable. Slap some epoxy on the fingerboard and you're good to go!

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    The Cort curbow is cheap and good give it a try.

11. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    MTD Kingston gets my vote, used or otherwise. It has an ebonal board so roundwounds are fine on it. Lovely tone with an amazingly hot pickup.

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Used MIM or MIJ is what I suggest.